But not used a lot in the last few years
Any solutions please

Thanks

Xxx Gadgit xxx

London GB

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Could be carbs (ya have 2 of 'em) after sitting for a lenth of time the fuel gets gummy if not treated with stabilizer. I'm sure somebody will chime in with more detailed guidiance.Hang in there.

The key to solving a problem,is knowing where to find the answer,& this would be the site to fins it!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
try running some seafoam through it, fill bike up first add the seafoam (dont be shy with the stuff either) make sure to ride the bike least 30 minutes after adding the sea foam so it will get a chance to get way into the carbs....run the tank out and do whole procedure again, see if that helps and also change your fuel filter if it hasnt been. Hopefully this will help your issue, if bike has been sitting for long period without fuel additives and not being run, a carb rebuild may be in order...good luck....

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gadgit

Can you even get Seafoam there across the pond?

You may need to clean the carbs, possible vacuum leak under the carbs as there is a million miles of hoses under there.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Have you changed the gas filter yet and the air filter? All you said was it was serviced which doesn't say much exactly.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...GL 1500 k
1990...Dead spot at 40. -50 mph
Ok when opened up
Ok on tick over
Bike has been serviced recently
But not used a lot in the last few years
As Stu said, do replace that fuel filter (or verify that it was done).

That said, given that it runs ok at full throttle, then I don't think it's a fuel starvation issue. Might want to remove the air box, then apply some teflon spray to the carb slides, while gently working them back and forth (but only about half-way, to avoid damaging the diaphrams)... If they are sticking, then you can get erratic throttle operation like mentioned.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Remove air filter. A light shot of carb clean spray on the carb slides, then work them back and forth with a finger. Follow with a shot of WD40 or similar to lubricate.
Be careful not to spray the rubber diaphragms.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Seafoam can be brought in the UK although it's hard to find and about £20 a bottle. You could try using Redex for a couple of tanks. Redex is in most service stations and did help my bike to run smoother when I first brought it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good morning from misty London

Thanks for the wonderfull info

Seafoam on order

Will also change fuel filter which I have

Wiil update once I've tried out the seafoam and changed the fuel filter cleaned /lubed the care etc

Hopefully that will see it running grand again

Thanks again troops

Xxx Gadgit xxx

Thought of the day DONT STEAL The government hates competition Lol

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Wow Gadgit, you guys really get ripped off on the Seafoam! We buy it over here at about a third of that price. Guess that shipping really is high, eh?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Gadgit
What was done on that "full service "exactly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gl1500k

The service it had was

Oil and oil filter changed
Brake linings all renewed brake fluid checked bleed topped up
Air filter changed
Spark plugs changed
Coolant drained refilled
General grease and lube
New tyres
Timeing belts renewed

Petrol/ gas filter NOT changed ,but will be this week along with seafoam as per previous instructions and lube of them carb bits

Hopefully problem then will be sorted
Will keep you all informed

Thanks again all of you

Xxx Gadgit xxx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The service it had was

Oil and oil filter changed
Brake linings all renewed brake fluid checked bleed topped up
Air filter changed
Spark plugs changed
Coolant drained refilled
General grease and lube
New tyres
Timeing belts renewed

Petrol/ gas filter NOT changed ,but will be this week along with seafoam as per previous instructions and lube of them carb bits...
I would include the following, as part of a true "Full Service":
1) Change Sub Carb Air Filter
2) Change Cruise Air Filter
3) Change Oil in Rear Drive
4) Grease the Drive Shaft
5) Install metal valve stems on the wheels
6) Dis-assemble and clean the clutch slave cylinder
7) Service the stock alternator, checking wear of brushes and bearings

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi
Silly daft Englishman here
Now got some seafoam
So what's the best procedure with it ???????

Thanks.

Xxx Gadgit xxx

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Hi
Silly daft Englishman here
Now got some seafoam
So what's the best procedure with it ???????

Thanks.

Xxx Gadgit xxx
Silly daft Englishman :claps:

Honesty works wonders!

You can pour a whole can of it in if needed without harm. I did that to a bike a friend bought and by the end of 20 miles it was already running better. Let it set over night and he said it ran great, when we picked it up it wouldn't idle and on the test ride I had to keep the RPMs above 2500-3000 at the lights.
Put it in the tank, fill tank with fresh gas, ride 20 miles to mix it well in the tank and into carbs some, stop and let it idle 10-15 minutes to get in the idle circuits, park it for 2 days(on centerstand) so the Seafoam can work on the gummed gas, then ride it. It may smoke a little upon starting after the 2 day sitting, that is normal.
You can add a couple oz every tank to keep it cleared out or once running right every few tanks add a couple (2-4)oz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your not wrong

I paid £15.99 per tin

But look at this eBay ad 200754410165

That's really taking the piss

Xxx Gadgit xxx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seafoam is a great product and I have used it for years with good luck. The big benefit is that Seafoam stabilizes the fuel for about two years. I don't use Stabil because it doesn't protect as well as Seafoam. We ride all year here in Colorado so stabilizing the fuel isn't a big issue. I found a 1997 SE in New Mexico for my uncle on Craigslist with 9000 miles on odo! The low circuit on bike was plugged from sitting many years:? but ran fairly well at highway speed. Uncle flew up from Calif and rode bike back to Napa, Ca using a strong solution of Seafoam along the way. There is a stretch of I-15 in Utah that has an 80mph speed limit so he kicked her up a bit! By the time he got home , the bike was running fairly well. He still keeps Seafoam in the tank but a smaller ratio. He previously had a mint 1500 with 100K. He ran over a small manhole cover in a parking lot . It flipped up and smashed the oil pan. Insurance totaled the bike. That's why we were scouring Craig's for another Wing. If you have a rideability problem with carbs,,,use a stronger solution than directions on can. Another good product is Marvel Mystery Oil which can also clean fuel sys when mixed with fuel. Also lubes upper cyl.. I use it to lube small items like pivot point for foot brake. Just a note; WD40 is NOT a good lubricant but IS a good substitute for you people who still use starting fluid which will damage your engine (eg; lawn mowers) Sorry,,,,I got a little windy here!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.