1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

forgot to add this to last post,

98 GL1500 SE

Fuel miliage is 33-37, double-up and running 70-75ish, this is in West Oklahoma where a breeze is 20mph and lots of it,

i run premium unlead, have added some MMO, and then Thecron, every so often,

Is this about average miliage or considered low fuel miliage??

and has anyone ever used the Lucas brand products, ??

Am i wasting money by running premium, do you all get decent results running reg unleaded, and i try to always get fuel from a named station not a quick-trip type conveince store

Thanks gang

Troy

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

That doesn't sound too bad Troy. I always found my fuel mileage dipped to mid-30s once I start riding around 70mph.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

That is decent mileage for a 1500 2-up at that speed. But, unless you hear pinging under load, you should use regular. The use of premium just drains your wallet and despite commercials to the contrary, does not increase performance or mileage. The wing was designed for regular gas.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

After a minor accident that hurt me and killed my '83 1100i I found and purchased an '85 1200a. First shake-down ride was from North Hollywierd CA to SLC UT. Pulling it's trailer and speeds hovering 85-90 MPH I got around 35-38 mpg.

Now that I am home and commuting my 105 miles each day and more tempered driving (avg 70 MPH) I'm getting 48-49 mpg. I can't complain! Waiting to see me break the 50 MPG barrier, lol.

I usually run premium fuel as Eeyore seems to prefer it and the bike runs cooler and smoother. Don't know if it impacts the mileage...

Thanks for all your comments guys. Great forum!

Ruaidh

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The running average on my 93 is almost exactly 40mpg. It's ranged from 35 to 44.5 over the past 6000 miles. On a 3400 mile ride over 12 days last month ranging from sea level to 10,000 feet and mostly on highways and roads that allow around 65-75 mph riding one up but with baggage and trunk pretty well filled the average was still nearly 40mpg even. My 86 SEI with it's fuel injection averaged a little better but not much.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

Getting around 43 mpg at 68 to 70 mphwith my '94 1500 SE. I use Marvel Mistery Oil in the fuel about every 8 to 10 tanks of fuel using 91 octane.

Also use fuel system cleaner about every 5,000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.