Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I'm trying to decide between the radio mod and the audiovox FM modulator. I think I remember seeing a thread here where the owner of Sierra recommended the audiovox. What do y'all think?

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
radio mod did it love it

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I have also done the mod to my radio. It sounds really good. You will get a better quality sound with the modification than using the FM modulator. However, at highway speed and wearing a helmet you may not notice the difference.
I guess it depends on how involved you want to get. The radio mod is not hard to do if you know how to use a soldering iron but it will take longer than installing the Audiovox modulator. Also you stand a greater chance of messing up something by tearing into the radio. Either way is a much better choice than not being able to play mp3s.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,646 Posts
I prefer the FM modulator external to the radio.
KISS principle, no "aw shits" that way

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
do the radio mod - the sound is awesome!!!

Les

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I prefer the tape deck adapter. No needing to change frequencies when travelling, only $5 at Wal-Mart, ...

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
I am very handy with a soldering iron, but elected to have Sierra do the mod and change all the light bulbs. Great Sound. Not all that much money.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I started with the Audiovox then it quit working so I went for the mod and love it so much more, much better quality

Toy4Rick

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Radio mod??? can I get some info. I use a device that's tunes to a freq with a usb flash drive.
This is a link to the radio modification that allows you to plug in your mp3 player to the GL1500 radio. Gives excellent quality sound and cuts the music level down when using the CB or intercom just like playing the radio.

http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I started with the audiovox FM modulator but ultimately switched to the radio mod. With the audiovox FM modulator I never got the volume I wanted, the audio quality was degraded, and I was always chasing down grounding problems. If you don't get the grounding of the audiovox FM modulator just right you get engine whine into your system. That noise will drive you nuts. Since I did the radio mod it sounds great, plenty of volume and no engine whine.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
One more opinion.
I tried the cassette adapter, it was useable but not good quality audio. After about a couple of weeks it quit working at all. I searched for and found an FM modulator that was made to connect directly into the antenna coax line on the bike. This unit also came with a cable that plugged into my I-touch so it supplies power to as well as gets the sound directly from the I-touch. I have had that for quite a while and I am very happy with it. Sound quality and volume are very good although I have never heard one that had a radio mod so I cannot compare. I paid a about $30 on ebay. It was a very simple installation.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I'm not the same Larry but this one is like the one I have installed in my pickup and it works great. I got the one that has the cable that plugs in the bottom jack on your ipod or iphone and picks up the audio and keeps it charged also. It would work fine for your motorcycle also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scosche-FMM...Accessories&hash=item336d747a06#ht_2711wt_678

This one has the ipod/iphone cable for keeping it charged.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ScoscheFmMo...Accessories&hash=item33681fdcba#ht_2317wt_818

·
Premium Member
351 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
im good with a soldering iron too, but had wayne and his team over at sierra do my mod and changed out my bulbs too.

much better sound quality over the fm modulator:bow:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.