Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone,

Recently our GL 1500 has developped a sort of clattering noise which sounds as though its in the carburettor area. When bike is started and idling on the choke it is not there but when driving away and with engine under load it sounds as though a valve in the inlet tract is jumping open and shut. It is quite loud, but disappears when the engine has warmed up.

Could it be the duct valve in the hot air diaphragm actuator opening en shutting rapidly? Vacuum not holding?

Anybody experienced this before? Other suggestions what this could be?

Apart from this the bike runds perfectly.

rob bakker in holland.

·
1,698 Posts
imported post

I would look at the rubber pieces in the alternator coupling .
They get hard with age , and can make strange noise.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

dutchaussie wrote:
...Recently our GL 1500 has developped a sort of clattering noise which sounds as though its in the carburettor area. When bike is started and idling on the choke it is not there but when driving away and with engine under load it sounds as though a valve in the inlet tract is jumping open and shut. It is quite loud, but disappears when the engine has warmed up....
> Loose exhaust manifold?... Check that the Chrome Nuts are present and snug, to each of the 6 exhaust pipes, where they meet the engine block.

When they are loose, you get a popping sound... that often goes away when the engine warms up.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
dutchaussie wrote: > Loose exhaust manifold?... Check that the Chrome Nuts are present and snug, to each of the 6 exhaust pipes, where they meet the engine block.

When they are loose, you get a popping sound... that often goes away when the engine warms up.
+1 on the exhaust manifold. The noise you describe and when it happens exactly fits with a small blow around the manifold. Check the nuts are tight or, better still, change the 6 gaskets.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

My money is on the rubber hose on the forward, right, underside of the air filter housing.

My bike does that right now.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
My money is on the rubber hose on the forward, right, underside of the air filter housing.

My bike does that right now.
> You can inspect, and if need be Re-install, that hose most easily by removing the right fan housing... then reaching up to access it. (This is a lot easier than trying to install it by removing the air filter box, the normal way)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.