Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,
Am new to this forum so hope it gets through. I have a '91 GL 1500 with radio frequency ranges from 78 MHz to 90 MHz. In South Africa, our frequency bands range from 88 MHz to 106 MHz. Does anyone have any idea regarding frequency shifters, which are apparently an in line modification to the antennae. If so, where can they be purchased or details for a self construction module.

Thanks a whole heap!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I would say your bike is a japanese import and the expander you need goes on the antenna wire and will also need a 12volt supply ,it is an easy install ,you can find them on ebay in the UK ,and most of the sellers ship world wide , expect to pay around £6 to £10 sterling for them ,here is a link to an ebay page with them on ithttp://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=radio+expander&_sacat=See-All-Categories ,Cheers ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Wexy, will try the link now! Hope it works. You are correct in saying the radio is of the Japanese variety, the bike however does originate in the US. Perhaps someone did a bit of creative shopping before I got the bike :)

Thanks a mil

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks SB in SC - It's a really cool place to be. :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I used one of those frequency extenders on an import car in NZ and never found it very good. You might check into replacing the radio for a better result.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I understand that they may not be too reliable, but the cost implications of purchasing a new radio are quite horrific. Thanks for the info k1w1t1m - Is that a Kiwi in disguise?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi arf and welcome to the forum i have a jap bike with a band expander fitted it will give you all the stations you need but your dash display wont go any higher or lower

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Guys, I will do a little searching for one now - Hopefully it will be readily available.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Yes, I'm a Kiwi.

Unfortunately rugby is rarely shown on TV here.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

How long have you been in the states?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Eight years.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m, just how did you end up in Centerton, Arkansas?

That seems an unlikely place for a Kiwi to get transplanted to. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I tried e-bay, but found that all the radios listed were different to my current model. I dont know whether the pin-outs will correspond to the wiring loom, or whether the digital readout will still be functional - I will keep trying though - Thanks guys!

ps k1w1t1m, mine is the sharks by the way, seem to be doing ok in the super 14 at the moment.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The radio frequency expanders will do the job perfectly , I have used them on several cars and bikes as agoangel says it will not change the radio display ,but will give you all and every station in your country ,ANY radio band expander will fit ,On ebay they list them for all the different jap cars ,but any of them will fit the wing ,Rest assured this will do the job 100% ,no need to change the radio .In Ireland we have lots of JAP import bikes and cars and the expander works perfectly on the all and is only small money , Ciaran

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks Wexy, i bow to your superior advice. I will order one from e-bay now. Another perhaps dumb question that I might ask is whether anyone out there has a circuit mod to wire an MP3 / Auxilliary in-put into the existing wire harness? I apologise for being so damn demanding!

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

Hi Arf

I would say, that the easiest you can do for connecting an MP3/Aux to your device is by using one of those cassette adapters.
This should work fine, and seems to be the easiest, fastest and probably even the cheapest solution.

And the MP3 you can put in the glove pocket on the left side of your cover.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks Swiss-Wing - Now I ne to source one of those too. I have seen them around, but not lately. Thank you

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You will find one of those in a car accessories shop .. A lot of the older cars only have tapeplayers/radio and they use the cassette to get the MP3 running ,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.