Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am in search of the progressive 450 ias left rear shock absorber. i have been told that it may have been discontinued. does anyone know where i can get one of these? any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

I believe i bought mine from wingstuff.com in 2007 for $350 but i couldn't find it on their website now.
The Progressive website doesn't list it either.
Powersportsuperstore.com shows them for $370 but OUT OF STOCK.
Niehaus Cycle shows them at list price. WOW.. $438.95.
Mine is on middle preload setting and i only need 5 lbs. in my air shock when solo and with a 120# passenger I only need to up it to 9 lbs.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thank you for the information. was there a noticeable difference in the handling of the bike?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Perhaps try contacting Progressive Directly?

I have this contact there:

Justin Barber
"Justin Barber" <[email protected]>
Customer Service Lead Tech
6911 Marlin Cir
La Palma
CA , 90623

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

I hadn't realized how much my old Honda OEM rear shock spring had sagged over the years. Passengers noticed the difference after i installed the 450 and asked if i had done something to the Wing. The rear was more in control of itself and noticed i was taking the same curves faster than i previously did. Progressive said the 450 does most of the work and then you don't have to run as much air in the right air cylinder and should actually absorb the bumps in the road better.
Progressive told me that for my weight of 180 lbs i would like the 450 better than the dual 416's. I am pretty sure the 416's were on my 83 GL1100 and they seemed to do their job. It had progressivea front and back and seemed to be a little stiffer than the 1500.
To tell the truth ,, i did like the original Honda SOFT suspension but I think the springs start sagging prematurely.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

progressive has discontinued the 450 ias shock for lack of sales.....they are going to keep parts in stock to take care of any warranty claims that may arise in the future, because these shocks have a lifetime warranty. that is what i was told when i called progressive this summer.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I talked to progressive before i got back to the forum...yup, its discontinued. So my choices are the 412's or the 416's. The 412 would be ok, but they cant be adjusted without removing the bags. The 416's shkd be ok, but my machine is an interstate, so no onboard compressor. Im still gonna be manual adjustment anyway. But i guess airing them up will be a hell of alot easier than removing the bag when i want or need to adjust them. I sure had my heart set on that 450.:?

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

There still are a few places advertising the 450 for sale. I don't know if they forgot to remove it from their sites or still have a handful in stock.

HERE is one place

Here is anotherand the cheapest price http://www.classiccruiser.com/Progressive-Suspension/450-Series-13.5''-Shocks/863437/

and HERE

It's not cheap but has been a great addition to my bike. It has definitely helped improve the feel of my suspension and I have been using one for years....

Edit: For some reason, I can't get the 2nd link to post right. You will just have to cut and past it into your browser

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well i have exhausted all the links and sites...it is discontiued for sure, i thought maybe id come across one of leftover stock. But no such luck. Thank you all for the help and ideas....got me some 416's ordered...i cant wait to get em on!!!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

lordbradley71 wrote:
but my machine is an interstate, so no onboard compressor. Im still gonna be manual adjustment anyway.

On a side note, do you get shock oil out of the air hose when you go to check or add air? I have the Interstate also and have an issue with oil spewing out when I add air.

Pat

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

yes i spits a little oil when i check it...i dont check it too often, only when i will be loaded heavy for travel is when i make my adjustment on it. and of course when i return and unload. this machine of mine is squirrly in the corners, mostly when there are bumps in the turn. i read that a suspension upgrade will help this issue. i put progressives in the front...and WOW what a difference that made! so im betting that having them in the rear will help even more. im an aggressive rider, so stiffening up my suspension would be helpful anyway. i ride my wing like a sport bike, and it used to do rather well, til here lately. so im eliminating the obvious things first. so the 18 year old shocks are first to go.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

lordbradley71 wrote:
this machine of mine is squirrly in the corners, mostly when there are bumps in the turn. i read that a suspension upgrade will help this issue.

the 416's are good, more than likely won't regret them but mine still gets squirrly in the rear under same conditions with 35 lbs pressure and 2 people onboard combined weight 300lbs or less, good news is you can pump up more pressure, bad news is your ride suffers. I like a soft ride.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

My 450 Progressive sprung a leak last spring. Probably had around 100K on it. I looked around for another one to replace it, but none were found. Dealers that said they could get one changed their mind after checking with Progressive. At close to $400.00 a shock it is not likely many are sitting around shelves collecting dust. Turned out I didn`t have to worry about it. Checking with Progressive I found they would rebuild the old one "No Charge". As long as you keep the original receipt, which I had. Came back looking like a brand new shock. Maybe it was. Not sure if the 416s are covered that well. I`m very well satisfied.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

got the 416's on yesterday...they handle differently than the stock shock set up. it did not fix my wallowing problem on high speed turns. its better, but not gone. the shocks definitely work better than the originals...some parts of the roads around here will get you bouncing pretty good, and most or all of that is gone now. sad to report, the change was not near as drastic as when i put progressives in the front. those made a world of difference. but all in all, i think i will be happy with them....especially when we travel heavily loaded.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

lordbradley71 wrote:
...it did not fix my wallowing problem on high speed turns. its better, but not gone. the shocks definitely work better than the originals...
> Are you using max pressure of 60psi? eg Higher pressure will make the bike more solid.

> If that does not work, then other things to try down the road are:
-Add a Steering Brace
-Verify swing arm bushings are tight
-Switch to Car Tire (Radial Run-on-flat Dunlop Wintersport) --This one makes a Huge difference in terms of removing the wallowing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.