Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello

I have just been Lucky enough to get an original tool kit for my 1997 GL1500SE, got it for £41 ($58) on Ebay.

Can someone tell me where it fits I read a thread some time ago which said it fitted in the left side saddle bag.

It appears to fit better into the right side saddle bag.

Thank you

Terry

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Mine fits in the left hand saddle bag. There should be a rubber strap which hooks either side of the saddle bag and secures the tool kit in place
Chris

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Hi Terry

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the tool kit was indeed originally located in the RH saddlebag.
Why it was moved I don't know,but no doubt someone on here will know or correct me if i'm wrong.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

Hi Terry

I have it originally in the rear of the right saddle bag, strapped down with a rubber band that also holds the user manual. And mine is 97 1500SE, too. So your should fit there also.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

In a '97 it should be in the left saddle bag, but in whichever, there should be two metal clips about 1 1/4" long with a rubber strap, with a flat "eye" on each end to hook on to the clips and secure the tool kit underneath. Your handbook will also go under the strap, on top of the tool box to keep it from any fluid that might spill in the pannier.

If you don't have the rubber strap then you will probably need to get inventive with something like a guy rope rubber from a camping shop. :waving:

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

Hi Pete

May it be, that you have it on the left side because you are driving on the left side?

This is really weird, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Swiss-Wing wrote:
Hi Pete

May it be, that you have it on the left side because you are driving on the left side?

This is really weird, isn't it?
:DWell my 1500 was a Canadian Edition model so I guess it should have been on the right!!!:shock::action:

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

My 97 Aspencade originally had the kit mounted in the left saddlebag, but I changed it over to the right saddlebag. Like Terry mentioned, It does fit better in the right. The right side is configured slioghtly different. It was just a matter of switching the mounting hardware over to the other side. There was an issue with the left saddle bags becoming stressed from the kit in the left side and causing cracks in the seam on the lower back wall inside.

Here is a previous thread about it: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=48586&forum_id=1&jump_to=486185#p486185

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

My '94 had it in the left side.

I always thought that was a dumb move, as the bike leans over to the left and makes it hard to get out. Especially if packed with a lot of stuff on top of it.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
My '94 had it in the left side.

I always thought that was a dumb move, as the bike leans over to the left and makes it hard to get out. Especially if packed with a lot of stuff on top of it.
Not so dumb for us Limeys of course, since we an get the tool kit out whilst still safely standing on the pathway!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

The 2000 came with tool kit mounted in the left saddlebag. I bought mine new and that's where it was but I moved it to the right side.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

My '99 SE: Left saddlebag with strap & bracket

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

88 GL1500, Right side from the factory

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

my 91I has it on the left side too.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thank you everyone for the quick responses I never expected so many so quickly.

It appears that even mother Honda could not decide what side to put it in.

I have the strap and will make a couple of brackets tonight and intend to fit it into the right hand side saddle bag.

As Pete says the left side is probably the most sensible/safest side for the UK however I feel it fits more neatly into the right side.

Thanks again for all of your messages as lots of other people have already said this is a great site with great people and an amazing amount of knowledge.

Now if someone could give me six numbers for the lottery this weekend !!!

Terry

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

The article about the well in the right hand pannier was interesting, my '97 had that very well in the left side pannier not the right and so that is why the tool kit fitted so neatly there. The tabs for attatching the strap had obviously not been moved from the factory fit, so it would appear that Mother H. did locate them on both sides at various stages.

( of course being a Wing, you can probably leave it at home anyway and put your sandwiches in its place since Wings are so reliable and Harleys are not metric anyway, so you won't be able to help!!!:D:D)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.