Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the site following the purchase of my 1996 1500SE (12,000miles)

I've just ridden to Valencia from Zebrugge (1100 miles) in 15hours to get a tase of the touring capabilities of my wing. the return trip took me the length of Spain to Santander with a final stint upto Hull from Plymouth.

I must say the bike behaved faultlessly and was an absolute pleasure to ride wet or dry, day or night.

Prior to the trip the wing went back to the shop to have the cruise fixed along with the auto cancel indicators (also the bike allowed you to read the air pressure while moving so I'm guessing it was a movement sensor issue?) while in for the repair the guy said the head bearings were too tight and he replaced them.

Anyhow as I said the bike behaved superb however 2miles from home it decided to shake its head from lock to lock. (I also race a Yamaha R6 so I'm used to the odd slapper) this can be brought on without fail by letting go of the bars.

The bike was fully loaded with a 5kg tent on the rear seat, roll bag on the rack weighing less than 4kg, rear air set at 20psi and I have a superbrace fitted.

This will not have been the fist time I let go of both bars on the 2000+mile trip (removing/fitting gloves etc) yet it is the first time it's decided to kill me.

I have all MOT documentation to support the mileage of the bike. the confusing thing is what's changed?????

Your collective knowledge would be most appreciated.

Lee.:shock:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi lee and welcome to the forum i would supect the front tyre may be cuped or low pressure depending on the tyre fitted the front should be around 38lb and the rear 42lb loaded did you get the ferry from santander to the uk if so the front mayhave aflat spot if you had the bike on the side stand and then strapped down unloaded it weights in at just under half a ton so there is a lot of weight rideing on it

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Nice one,

I'll check the pressure when I can face going out in the cold, Would i be able to see the flat spot or need to hack up the front and spin the wheel?

I've heared the term 'cupping' before, is this squareing off the middle through lots of highway use, therefore a large difference between centre and side tread?

Lee

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

i would put the bike on the center stand then put a small jack under the front of the engine and jack the front wheel off the ground get in front spin it by hand and watch for any out of alinement whobble ect the cuping is like a dent in the tyre as if you parked it up against the kerb head first as said because of the weight of these bikes they are prone to tyre probs like this also re the ferry with the bike leaning to the left and then strapped down plus the motion of the ship could pull the tyre to one side

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Hi Lee

Welcome to the forum from The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire :D

Several possibilities here:

1.Tyre pressures are fairly critical ( I run mine @ 39 front 41 Rear).
2.Different makes of tyre are more prone to shuddering the bars when running along white-lines or tar snakes.
3.My best guess,something wrong with either the fitment or adjustment of the new front wheel bearings as this is the only thing that's been altered.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Most likely hit a bad place in the road, a depression, something really not visible but there just the same.
That will do it sometimes, cause the front wheel to jerk pretty good, I have had it happen a couple times in over 25 years of riding.

If the bike behaves all the time, and that was just one isolated time, that is most likely it, this happened to me on the way back from Atlanta one time, road construction, road looked okay, but sure was not.

Kit

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

Like said earlier...put the bike on the center stand..raise the front wheel just off the ground and give the front wheel/forks a good shake...probably head bearings loose along with a cupped tire...sometimes there is play in the fork bushings also....

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

I take you have rode the SE fully loaded down before and it handled ok,before the mechanic replaced the "too tight head bearings" Just going by your statement that nothing had changed. Does it still do the head shake unloaded? I'd look to the head bearings and the tires. 1100 miles in 15 hrs loaded down may have seperated the plys on the tires if not the cupped wear pattern:waving:Keno

excuse the manners and welcome to the forum :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this forum.

Wow. 96 with 12,000 miles.

Do a search on wobble and you will find a lot of information. The 1500 and other Goldwing wobble is a common trait characteristic and is attributed to many factors. The wobble is only at relatively slower speeds around ~25mph.

You said your head bearings were replaced. I hope he torqued them accurately by pre-loading them and then re-torquing to the final setting.

The front tire is a major contributor for wobble. And, as it wear and cups, you will have many miles to go with the wobble scenariobefore replacing the expensive tires.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Welcome to this forum.

Wow. 96 with 12,000 miles.

You said your head bearings were replaced. I hope he torqued them accurately by pre-loading them and then re-torquing to the final setting.

Yes I'm pretty happy with my find. 2 owners from new, the first guy put 8000miles on her in 11 years and the second guy put 1500 on the following year.

I picked her up with just 9500miles, full service history and all supporting documentation including mileage verification.

I've fitted:

• TomTom rider v2
  • Wired in my Ipod to the PCB board with an aux switch.
  • Heated Grips
  • 12v socket in Top Case.
  • GL1800 Pivot Backrest.
  • Superbrace.
  • Touring Screen.
  • Luggage rack.
I usually swap bikes quite often however due to the immaculate condition of this one and the range capabilities I think she may be hanging around for a while. (shame about her trying to spit me off!! haha)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and also the tips on the shake.

I'll jack up the front and take a look at the tyre and forks/head bearings and failing that I'll send her in for a once over prior to laying her up for the winter.

Thanks again everyone.

Lee.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A warm welcome to the site Crapfullback, good to have you on board. :waving:

A quick summary of what you have told us may reveal what is the problem.....

12 year old tyres with 12k on them. (?) This is probably the limit of their life, I was changing tyres at around the 12k mark on my 1500 as they were worn out.

A few thousand miles of running your rear at 20 psi, which is about half what most of us run Wing tyres at, will likely result in fairly rapid tyre wear.

I would hazard a guess that the tyres are due for change and will resolve your problem.

Enjoy the forums and please visit often.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
12 year old tyres with 12k on them. (?) This is probably the limit of their life, I was changing tyres at around the 12k mark on my 1500 as they were worn out.

A few thousand miles of running your rear at 20 psi, which is about half what most of us run Wing tyres at, will likely result in fairly rapid tyre wear.

:waving::waving:
Hi Pete,

Thanks as I think you have made me realise I may have confused everyone slightly with my initial post.

the reference to running 20psi on the rear is to the air suspension. I inflated the tyres to 43 rear and 38 front (double checked with analogue and digital guages)

The bike was sold with a new pair of Avon Venom tyres (opinions welcome) and these have now completed less than 4000miles.

Yes they have been subjected to a 15hour push, two horrendous overnight ferry crossings strapped down on the left side.

sorry for the initial confusion.

Lee

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Lee,

further diagnosis required then, as the above info sheds new light. No reason to suspect tyre age, mileage or cupping ( unless you find they are?)

There are some that might not like Avon Venoms, ( that would be purelybrand prefence)but there is no reason to suspect that a brand is to blame for the dramatic situation you found yourself in.

I am not one of thos e that subscribe to the flat spot theory particularly, since my Wings have been strapped down hard, fully loaded many times without any affect and I have never heard of such a thing occuring????? ( not to say I know for sure or anything and others may know better :baffled:)

Since the majority of your journey was trouble free, something has happened quite rapidly towards the end to cause this to happen.

Back to the experts to help now I am afraid, since I am "mechanically challenged" shall we say!!!:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hi LEE and welcome, seems to me that if all was OK on the way out? then something has happened, check your pressures front and back! the rear suspension seems a little low I usually run at 40psi solo and 56psi fully loaded up . Put the bike on the centre stand , and get some one to push down on the rear, this will raise the front off the ground. Turn the wheel slow and check the tyre for any irregularities, then spin the wheel fast and check for true by placing your hand as close as possible to the top and sides. Then check you head bearings by griping the wheel between your kness and your hands on the handle bars there should be no play. Finaly go to the rear and check the rear tyre and swing arm. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
imported post

Lee, just to pass along my opinion. I would be wondering about the head bearings being tightened correctly also. Another consideration is the rear tire. Heavy cupping on the rear tire will cause the "head shake" also. I just replaced the tires on my 1500 for that exact reason. I had severe cupping on the left side of the rear tire, on left turns at speed it sure did make the suspension feel strange. The tires had 10,000+ miles and still had tread but I decided it was time for a change. My 1500 has always been rock solid with hands off coming down to a slow speed, never had the head shake. I noticed the results of the cupping on slow speed turns and the action of the suspension at speed in turns, never wanted to go into a "tank slapper" but enought to cause concern.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Late to this discussion, but had same problem and found problem to be a badly worn rear tire which I had thought I could get another 2k miles but had to replace within 1000 miles. New tire solved problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.