Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When my Wing is parked for say 7 days and it is parked on level ground but on the side stand ,and i start the bike a blue puff of smoke will come out.Definitely oil smoke.

If the bike is parked for 7 days on the same parking spot, but on the center stand and you start her,there is no smoke ,not even a hint of smoke.

After the bike has started been on the side stand(for say the second or third time etc)there are no more smoke.

I checked this occurrence for 4 weeks now, twice on the centre stand and twice on the side stand and the same thing every time.

The oil level is on full and do not need to be topped up.

Should i worry or is it normal ?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

Mine does the same if left on the side stand for some time. No idea why though no doubt someone will come up with the answer. It's always done it since I have owned it for the past 6 years.

I don't think it's a problem, just a quirk. (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I know the early GL's will let oil drain into the lower cylinders when on the side stand for any length of time. It's harmless if that's what it is.

I think, but have not verified, that the newer GL's have a slight V to the cylinders to reduce this effect.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

johan,

that is totally normal. When you leave it on the side stand, oil collects on top of the valve stem seals on the left bank.

In a few days, a few drops will weep down past the seals and into the combustion chambers.

That oil will cause a bit of smoke, which does not last long as you have noted.

Not to worry, they all do it.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

It's as normal as breathing. :action:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

My Clymer's manual states that cylinders on the 1500 are 120 degrees apart, not exactly "flat" when the bike is sitting level. That would explain oil not leaking down into the cylinder head while bike is on centerstand.

My 1500 will smoke if bike is left on sidestand for several days without being started but since I have started using the centerstand, it has stopped smoking on startup.

I can see where oil would leak through the end gaps in the rings on the pistons if the engine is angled for a length of time and collcting in the combustion chamber. My opinion only.

Before I started using my centerstand, I would kill the engine and sit on the bike for a couple of minutes before putting the bike on sidestand. That helped but didn't cure the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Yup this is normal for these If you don't like polluting
get used to heaving it up on the centre stand if you are not gonna use for a few days

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I thought they would have eliminated this over the years but see that it still happens. I suppose with a boxer type engine once it leans over some oil is going to get by the oil rings no matter what you do.

Sounds like they smoke a lot less than the first generation wings. On them you soon learned to just put the 3 litres in and no more. That kept it about 1/8" below full on the sight window. If you tried to keep it full on the site window they would smoke like crazy when left on the side stand.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
nope fuel injected
What's that got to do with it?

No oil or rings in those 1800's? :baffled:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.