Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'92 GL1500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 GL 1500A with 64K mi exhibits switch problems. Whenever a button or switch does not respond, I flood the item with CRC Electronic cleaner, wait ~ 1 min and blow the excess away with high pressure air. This has worked for the Emergency flashers, Right directional, Cruise control ON/OFF and Set, Ignition key slot and lately the Starter button. The Starter button did not respond to the cleaner in a manner typical of others, ie a little spray would make it better but many applications were needed to make a permanent fix. I then replaced the battery, 18 month old, which seemed to do the trick. After a few weeks I hit the button and got nothing so I hit it again and got the start. Again I applied the cleaner and ordered a few new relays from Goldwing Store. While waiting for the parts I polished the battery connections and the connections to the main fuse. Then I measured the resting volts on the battery in the Wing to see the 24 hour drop. The battery started at 12.78v and the next day it was 12.72v. I connected a trickled charger to the new battery while the voltage could be watched and saw the voltage go from 12.72 to 13.0 v in about 5 minutes. I put my "big" charger on the battery because it has a light that changes from red to green when the battery was considered "full" by the charger. I did this charging 2 times and waited a few days to measure the voltage. The voltage is now at 13.03v. I installed the new starter relay. Of course I did many things so it started with a minimal cranking and needed to run on some choke. The combination of things may just boil down to maintenance need for a Wing ~39 YO. I'm going to monitor the voltage and expect voltage drain from clock etc.
I needed to loosen all four left side saddlebag bolts and finally remove the front 2 bolts to allow access to the relay box. The inside of the box was very dusty. When I replaced the Ignition/Cruise relay I found that the removed relay might be a useful backup and the inside top of the relay box had space to store the used/backup
relay.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
Batteries will get a short term surface charge and 12.72V is a respectable at rest voltage after one day.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Starter button is different,it has a rocker ( kinda) and a small spring to load it,they just fail

·
Registered
'92 GL1500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
'92 GL1500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starter button is different,it has a rocker ( kinda) and a small spring to load it,they just fail
Thanks because that spring fail is a new idea for me. How would I go about inspecting and fixing the spring. Most of my information warns that dismantling the switches/buttons is fraught with perils from loosing parts to difficulties with assembly.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,390 Posts
Opening up the switches for cleaning is pretty easy. Note that there are springs that like to run away and hide.
When I clean one, I do it on a clean bench or, if on the bike, with a cloth below to catch stuff.
Re-grease everything electrical using dielectric grease and make sure the springs are nice and taut.

·
Registered
'92 GL1500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opening up the switches for cleaning is pretty easy. Note that there are springs that like to run away and hide.
When I clean one, I do it on a clean bench or, if on the bike, with a cloth below to catch stuff.
Re-grease everything electrical using dielectric grease and make sure the springs are nice and taut.
Thanks again, I'm going to do that right NOW.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
That spring will jump out and then it’s time to look for a replacement,like Dennis idea,I lost mine but if i ever have to go in there I’ll use a bucket,when I replaced mine ,I just cut the wires and soldered it back together.
I’m not saying for sure that’s it but a suggestion,now I just remove the cluster and drop the whole thing in a container of marvel mystery oil,it has been a good tool for me.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Have you installed the shifter support on your bike,it’s the best add on that I have,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts