Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I resently purchased a 98 GL-1500 SE and have noticed that I have trouble keeping the bike traveling a straight line without constant steering correction. It is as if the bike has been loaded quite top heavy (which it isn't) with incorrect weight distribution. Say, loaded high and to the right, ect. I have owned several older wings and never experienced this.

Have installed new Elite III tires,progressive springs in the forks, and fork oil. Check and torqued steering head brearing nut.

Suggestionsappreciated.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi doc you need to check the the wheel bearings and front fork alingment as the 1500 is so heavy you might need a fork brace fitted to keep the two legs paraell did the old tryes show any abnormal ware also i know you torqued the head bearings but its very hard to tell if the bearings are gone as the front end is so heavy i had slow rideing issues and replaced all you said but the prob was sorted when the head bearingd were fitted

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

The front tire really wasn't warn much but had "checks" in the sidewall like the bike had been sitting flat for a long period.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

My 1500 pulls to the left quite a bit. I'll have a look when it's new tyre time.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Remember that most roads are built on a slant for rain run-off and that will contribute some to tire wear.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

This weekend I'm going to check the head bearings and locknut to see if it's to loose, to tight, or bad bearings.
Planning a trip on the bike, 3500 miles more or less, and want to make sure everything is good to go.
Thanks for your input. I'll let you know what I find.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

How old is the fork oil? If its too old and gone to mud then the front of the bike sits lower and makes the steering heavier especially at low speeds.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Hi Jason
I changed out the oil when I put in the progressive fork springs. 20W fork oil from the local Honda shop.

Tim

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Saturday I removed the upper fork bridge and readjusted the steering head locknut (to the spec. this time). I used the steering pull test before I took it apart and measured about 9 lbs (way to much). Adjusting the locknut so that the scale reads in the 4 - 5 lb. range did the trick. In rereading the test procedure I see that it is the initial pull one would be measuring as opposed to the pull that is required to keep the turn going.

The bike rides and feels much, much better.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.