Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dumb question but maybe not? I had my cooling system on my 92 SE overhauled a few months ago. My question . should I be concerned that my temp guage never moves but a hair from the left side. The fans never kick on and I don't have any leaks and the radiator is always full. Here is a picture of what I mean ! I'll stand by for answers . I don't want to take it apart again but I'm not sure if the needle should go to the middle. Thanks for the inputs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,609 Posts
If you let the bike idle for an extended time the temp should move to center and the fans should run. It is possible the gauge is not working as erd said above. If you are going down the road it really does not move too much but usually more than yours. Even in cool Wisconsin weather. If I just putt through the park at near idle mine will rise and the fans turn on.
Edit: As I look closer at the picture I agree with Erd. You have an issue. Is the fuel tank plum full as the gauge indicates? They share a common wire.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
How long had the bike been running when you took that picture? My temp gauge, and I believe most other 1500s, will stay around 1/4 the way up on the scale at normal highway speeds. At slow moving traffic speeds or climbing up mountains it will get up near the 1/2 way mark. The fans come on a little over half way on the gauge.
You should do as Erd says and check that C22 connector for a good connection and no corrosion. If you put a ground on the green/blue wire it should make the temp gauge go full scale to hot.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
my 94 temp indicates close to H before the fans kick on, then I found out the range between C and H is not many degrees

As long as the fans operate- no problem. OP not getting temp reading IS a problem

GO with Erdeniz suggestion, he or she seems to know the odd bits deep inside the bike

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
My temperature gauge has been behaving just like AZwnger temp gauge since the day I had the thermostat replaced. Hardly comes up past first line. Always used to go up to the normal range before replacement. Fans kick on just like before. oil pressure light goes on and off just like it did before thermostat replacement. I will now go back and check the connection on right by fan. So long as the fans kick on I haven`t been too concerned so far.
Was the bike good and warmed up when that picture was taken AZwngr. Mine comes up past the first line anyway.Thanks for the info.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Gumbyred, Thermostats have a temperature rating such as 160, 180, 190 ect. I would suspect the replacement thermostat has a different rating than your original. That could cause your gauge to register lower than before. Your temperature gauge is registering and that indicates it is receiving input from the coolant temperature sensor.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies . I couldn't get to it today but will this week, I took the picture after a ten minute ride so the needle should have moved towards the middle. I am sure it must not be grounding somewhere . The connecter 22 looks like is the problem ! I'll be back with the fix later this week..... Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
my 94 temp indicates close to H before the fans kick on, then I found out the range between C and H is not many degrees

As long as the fans operate- no problem. OP not getting temp reading IS a problem

GO with Erdeniz suggestion, he or she seems to know the odd bits deep inside the bike

I am just reading and interpreting the diagrams, Tom. And, I think I need to update my picture in the profile.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
If you end needing a replacement set I've a temp/dual gauge setup from my 1500 days. LMK.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
DBohrer. If the fans weren`t kicking in at the lower reading I might believe that engine was running cooler due to lower temperature thermostat. Had the work done at a Honda dealership. Hope they put a Honda thermostat in of the correct heat range.
gumbyred

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
DBohrer. If the fans weren`t kicking in at the lower reading I might believe that engine was running cooler due to lower temperature thermostat. Had the work done at a Honda dealership. Hope they put a Honda thermostat in of the correct heat range.
gumbyred
There was a recent post about the thermostat, maybe you remember.
One of the member had said that even without a thermostat the fans started very quickly.

So I don't think that it is a thermostat issue.

Here it is, read after the post #18.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/635978-gl1500-thermostat-change.html

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
gumbyred
I don't think it is a connector issue....! Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks you guys are genius's Isee now why they pay you the big bucks ! Well Erdenez was correct . When I got to the connecter the one he showed in his picture was disconnected, the wire and connecter was behind the fan. Sure is a relief to know every thing is working again . I wish I would have taken a picture while I had every thing apart. I took it for a 20 min ride and the guage went to the 1/2 way mark.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.