Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Checked w/Rudy on this & am opening it up to the forum. This past fall I picked up a 1990 1500 & preparing to chg.out the pulley belts. While everything is apart I plan on chging the timing trigger (pulse rotor) wheel mounted on the crankshaft stack.

The Honda service manual calls for a torque setting of 54 ft.pds. during reassembly,to the bolt holdingthe stackon.How would I pull that torque without spinning the crankshaft ?? My first thought was to put everything back together,put the tranny in first gear,& torque the crank bolt before buttoning up the covers.

All advice greatly apprciated.This is my first GW after fiddiling with (old)HD's for the last 15 yrs!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I am not sure, but i believe there should be a bolt on the back of the engine, well at least there is one on the 4 cylinder wing. download the service manual from the site on my signature, it also gives a very easy step by step guide with foolproof details. but sometimes the pics are not clear enough, rudys guide has very good pics.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

when the belts are back on and the bolt nipped up just put the bike in gear, then torque it.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
when the belts are back on and the bolt nipped up just put the bike in gear, then torque it.
and I'd use a high gear (4 or 5) as it would be easier to hold with the brake as necessary..

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I just changed my belts and trigger wheel. Once the belts and trigger wheel are installed, you don't have to worry about lining up the timing marks anymore. I put mine in fifth gear, had a helper stand on the break pedal and torqued away just like Rudy said.

I haven't had a chance to test drive yet due to the freezingrain.....can't wait to feel the difference.

If your going to jack your bike up to work on it, you'll want to crack that bolt first!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks folks,for the advice.And Hogan,that heads up about loosening the bolt first before dis-assembley was well taken!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Just wondering what degree of trigger do you use for what year? I was told a 6 degree for 88 - 93 and 5 degree for 94 and up. Is that right?

Hickey :?:?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

4 all the way.

6 is for the Valk as I understand it.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Thank you Rudy.

Hickey

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
4 all the way.

6 is for the Valk as I understand it.
Rudy as usual is correct. My 93 has a 4 degree wheel and runs great.:) People have tried the 6 degree wheels on 1500 Wings, and have had problems later.:(

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Hickly I put a 4degree trigge wheel & could have gone with a 7 but I think that would have been too much mine pings in the morning but I also put the extractor kit on as well ! also if you have a stock air filter change over to a k&n ! I did mine because I heard it would increase my fuel economy but the only thing that healped my econmy the most was marvel mistory oil I went from 38 mpg -44mpg Craig member # 202091

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

I installed the 4deg. trigger wheel and my bike runs much better. i don't have any spark knock and the hesitation is gone. Although i think most of the hesiation was due to vacuum leaks in pourous vacuum hoses.

Also torque ratings are overrated if you tighten a bolt till it feels tight in direct ratrio to its size it will not come loose.I tightened mine with a 1/2" impact and it hasn't loosened after about 1500 miles.

·
Gimpy
111 Posts
imported post

Hummer52051 where are putting the Marvel Mystery oil and how much?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Gimpy you can as I do put 2 oz in the tank with the tank filled & you can also put in with your oil at oil change just put the bottle in place of 1 of the qts of oil ! but Do use the marvel mystery oil at every fill up !you can find it at wally world ( wal*mart) its less $ then at you auto parts store ! Craig gwrra #202091

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Had to coolant change and flush today, got myself one of the 4 degree trigger wheels. Slapping it on a 95 SE and gonna see how she runs. Been reading a lot of hooplah on it, thought I'd jump on the band wagon.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Ran about a tank of gas thru her with the new wheel, definite decrease in the hesitation. Off the line is much smoother. As for horses, if there is, it's minimal. I flushed my radiator, meaning I had to run my engine for a bit, so I'll get back with any mpg variances when I go thru another tank or two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.