Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
luckey9
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

PO have installed 100/90X18 front & 150/80 x 16 rear on my newly acquired GL-1500
A service technician advised me to remove them asap. I know they are not the oem sizes however is it a dangerous combination for low mileage driving. They are in good condition but should i change them for next season.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
imported post

Those tires are probably not up to the weight capacity of the 1500. Unless you are pretty small and never ride 2 up it would be a good idea to replace them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave you might be pretty well undergunned with those tires. You can look at the load and maximum speed rating on the tires, and determine if the tire is suitable for your bike. The Dunlop E3 rear tire on my bike is rated at a bit over 900lbs which is around 400 kilos. Usually you can go to the manufacturer's website and get that info too. If the tires are rated under what you can reasonably expect a 1500 to exert on them then I'd replace them. You need a reasonable cushion in the load rating because potholes and road junk could overload the tire momentarily and that's all it might take to blow one. It ain't much fun handling half a ton of bike and rider when a tire blows.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

Listen to Dave... I ride a 1500 with gear and two up a lot and even alone I would want the best tire money can buy under me cause a 1500 sometimes can get a mind of its own in the twisties.

You need all the "footprint" you can get on these animals.

·
luckey9
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the reply's and tire info site. I don't understand why the PO who was not a solo rider and did high mileage put these under size tires on, tho i guess it comes down to dollars and a quick sale to someone like myself who only looked at the NEW tire aspect of it. I shall seek out the proper size tires for my solo riding next season.
Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Make sure they are bias ply tires and not radials .. Ciaran

·
luckey9
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I checked my existing tires today and noted front is rated at 461 lbs and rear at 761 lbs. I ride solo but it looks that this is border line.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
imported post

The correct tires are rated at 600lb front and 853lb rear.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
imported post

Good tires equal good life insurance.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

I had my 1500 weighed and it was 140kg (310lbs) on the front and 270kg (600lbs) on the rear. Then you've got to add rider+pillion+gear. Your tyre ratings aren't looking so good :(

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
imported post

dakotawings wrote:
are bias better on the 1500 than radials?
The 1500 rims weren't designed for radials.

That said, there have been a few folks who used radials, but I don't know who they were.

General consensus is don't put radials on a 1500.
The Michelin Pilot GTs are my favorite tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.