Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello again from beautiful NJ ( oxymoron).
The only parts left on my 88 which haven't been replaced are timing belts. I'll be doing that over the winter. While I have the belts off, I figure I might just as well remove the cams and replace the valve seals. I only have a valve spring compressor that requires head removal. Does anyone have a photo of the spring compressor used when I leave the heads on? I've never used one so I'm not sure what it looks like or where to buy one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom Mc

Attachments

· The Irish Crew
3,894 Posts
imported post

Some guys here have used the string trick with success, where you fill the chamber with string and turn the engine so it jams the string against the valve heads.

· Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

[suP]i have used a old spark plug, drilled out and a airline fitted to it.[/suP]

[suP]screw in plug and turn on air[/suP]

[suP]need to make sure both valves are closed before you start any workotherwise you have fun trying to replace the valve seales..not done this trick on my wing (yet) butdone it lots of time on my old landrover[/suP]

[suP][/suP]

[suP]Daz[/suP]

· Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

That's the one!!!
I appreciate the link where I can buy it. Thanks. I've tig welded an air adapter out of an old spark plug to fill the cylinder. All I need now is a good snow storm to keep me holed up in the garage.

Tom Mc

· Premium Member
941 Posts
imported post

I hope it works out for you Tom. I tried the string method once but when I turned the engine to push the string up against the valves, a piece got trapped behind one valve and I had trouble getting it out afterwards.
I think it would have been better to just stuff in the string and not turn the engine at all, just keep both valves closed instead.

· Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

andy1800 escribió:
I hope it works out for you Tom. I tried the string method once but when I turned the engine to push the string up against the valves, a piece got trapped behind one valve and I had trouble getting it out afterwards.
I think it would have been better to just stuff in the string and not turn the engine at all, just keep both valves closed instead.
this is the best method :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.