Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 GL 1500 and am considering adding the lights I see on the side of the trunk and the saddle bags. I have a stock OEM alternator that is new last year. I don't want to cause myself problems with charging. I added the side lights to the fairing last year because it was plug and go, but the rears are a little different to get working. MY volt meter reads 13.8 most of the time. I don't have anything LED on the bike but the volt meter. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem. The output of a stock alternator is way more then the demands of what's there already.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
+1 on what Dave said.

The SE model came stock with all that lighting and the same alternator.....

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guy's I thought it should be OK but I thought I would ask before I bought the lights. I'm looking for a little more side light for safety.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can get LED light strips at Wal Mart in the automotive section. They are easy to install, just be careful heating with a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the glue that holds the red reflector lenses in place. Drill small holes in the bottom rear corner of the housing and run wires out, then through the rear corner of the saddle bags and connect up to the wiring harness by the back turn signal lights. I did my 92 and now have done my 99 that way. Same with the trunk side lights. They do not draw much current at all. Probably about the same as one Incandescent bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
No problem with those, I had them on my 92, 97 and 98 1500. easy hook up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The SE model came stock with all that lighting and the same alternator.....

What years did they do that? I bought my '99 new and the wiring was in place for the trunk but no bulbs, just rubber plugs. Plus the saddle bags just had the reflectors with no provisions for wiring or bulb sockets. To top it off the original alternator failed after six years as it could barely handle the electrical load of the stock bike! I was told by the dealers repair department that is was due to the substandard alternator. Oh, and it took three dealer repair departments to pinpoint the problem and the alternator was replaced under warranty. Six months after that I replaced the stock alt for a Compufire unit and have had no problems since. 194,000 miles and still going strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts