Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

New to this site so hello to all. I am working on a 1996 GL 1500 and the bike will not turn over. I have removed the starter and it will turn over when not in the bike, but you reinstall it and it does not turn the motor over. I can physically turn the motor over with the nut under the inspection cover for the timing marks so I know the motor is free. The starter seems to turn slowly but I am not sure how fast it should turn. I get a little over 11 volts to the starter when I push the start button. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Charge the battery. Check the liquid level in the battery.

Are you testing the starter on the bench ?

11 volts should turn the engine over, may be too slow to start, especially in Minnesota this time of year.

You've made a complete revolution by hand ? That should eliminate a lot of problems, such as hydrolock or biological storage lock (mouse in cylinder).

If the starter will not work in the bike, does it do nothing, no starter relay clicking, or does it just do nothing ?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

welcome to the best site ever. did you check the kill switch, neutral switch, and do you have a good battery. even though the switch is on, it could be a bad switch.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have tested the starter out of the bike on the bench, and in the bike just not placed in the case(just hanging loose) and it will turn in both cases. I have made a full couple of revolutions without any hold ups as far as the engine goes. Hydrolock was one of my first thoughts but not this time. The starter does nothing when I bolt it back in the case, but the starter relay does click and I get the 11 volts to the starter, battery is brand new, less than a week old and 12.23 volts. The switches would stop electrical flow to the starter if they were faulty wouldn't they. I press the start button and the voltage goes to the starter. Wouldn't switches stop the flow before the starter? Thanks for the help and please keep it coming.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

A bad batery may show voltage but not have the amperage to turn the engine over. I would have the battery load tested.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

12.23 volts is not a full charged battery. Should be at least 12.7 after several minutes of being taken off the charger.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Put a load test to the battery and all is well. Just for giggles I took a known good battery from another GL 1500 that does start and the bike acts the same. Solenoid just clicks with no movenet in the engine but 11 volts to the starter.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Are you running the power through the magnetic starter switch (Solenoid) when bench testing ?

When you say the solenoid just clicks, is that just once per starter switch push or a series of clicks ?

Once wouold indicate that the solenoid is working properly and the problem probably lies within the starter, multiple would indicate a problem with the solenoid or a low voltage supply. Could be a poor connection or one of the relays, I'm not at home to check which relay, but can check after 6 PM.

In the meantime, check the "Dogbone" fuse, make sure it's in good shape.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I am not running through the solenoid when I physically test the starter on the bench, but when I have the starter hooked up to the bike but not bolted into the case it is then running through the solenoid. It does spin when it is hooked to the bike and not bolted in, then when I bolt it in the solenoid just clicks once per starter button pushbut the starter does nothing. I am starting to beleive the problemis in the starter but want to be sure as they are so expensive. I have taken the starter apart and cleaned the brushes with some scotch brite and all the other components with electrical parts cleaner. Is it possible that it is just a weak starter? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

Hello maybe your solenoid is bad .on my 1500 if it sits in a heavy down poor it will not start when hit the starter buton the starter just clicks or clucks and acts like the starter motor is locked then after it drys out a bit its starts right up

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

:(I am not that familiar with the 1500 but I don't trust starters, I have a 1200. I would use a jumper cable direct to the starter from the battery bypassing the rest of the system to see if the starter would turn over the engine. If it doesn't I'd say the starter is the problem.:gunhead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.