Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Brand new alternator! Fitted 22/06/2009.
Rode 500 km and there's a horrible noise from the motor.
I pulled the alt and it appears that the rotor has moved so far back as to allow the rear cooling fan to contact the diffuser in front of the rectifier plate, and the drive coupling has rubbed against the front cover with enough friction to burn the new damper rubbers. Even the drive coupling has turned blue from the heat.
The old alternator was also damaged in this fashion but the PO mentioned having had the alt repaired.
Is it possible that the drive coupling in the motor is forcing the rotor back while under load? When installing the alternator I managed to move it fully home without having to use the bolts to seat it so I know there is no force there while the motor is not running.
I have searched the forum and have not come across anyone else experiencing this problem.
Honda tells me there is no guarantee on electrical parts but I will nevertheless contact them and see what they have to say. This alt has after all, only done 500 km.

I e-mailed Honda South Africa and they asked me to bring the alt in for inspection. They sent it to Boschand after about 2 weeks informed me that it was a factory fault and they would replace the unit. (They couldn't tell me exactly what the fault was).

I collected the new unit on Friday and fitted it. If this rotor also moves back I doubt Honda will replace the alt again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is something forcing the rotor back? Apart from checking clearances every now and then, I don't know what to do. I can't have the only Wing in the world that does this to alternators, can I?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I don't think its a common issue Eric, your is first I heard of this. But since about 1996 or 1997 the alternators have been made on the cheapo in China, so I can't say I am too surprised either.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply, englishted. I was beginning to think nobody gives a .....

After doing about 100 km I decide to pull the alt this weekend and check it out. Nothings moved yet as far as I can see but I did pull the rear cover and put some loctite on the rear bearing just in case.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Eric

We all give a .... it was just that I had no experience of a problem like yours, looks like you have got it sorted, good luck.

Terry

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Terry, I'll just have to keep an eye on the alternator. It's easy enough to pull the covers and eyeball the distance between the rotor fan and the diffuser. I did 150 km yesterday and everything still looks OK. I'll just use the bike for a couple of short trips to begin with and hope everything stays where it should.
Thanks
Eric

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Eric. Just a curious question. Is the pulley in line. Sometimes a shim is used between the pulley and bearing offsetting the belt. Not too familiar with the 1500 but pulley alignment applies to any belt system. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Tony, there's no belt. The alternator is driven directly from the motor via a coupling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.