Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Please help. I have a friend who has to be in a parade tonight with his bike but it just died when he tried to accelerate and we can not figure out what is the matter. Is there a sequence of things we can do to trouble shoot this quote quickly.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Is the fuel pump working? When you first turn the key on, it will run for about two seconds. Easily heard. It is located inside the tank.

JD

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

If its runing what should the pressure be and is there a filter on the input side inside the tank? Bigger problems. There is gas running out the tailpipe and it acts as if it floowed since it will not start, period. Is it stuck floats, hole in the float bowl, or just junks up where there may be dirt holding the needle valve open?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

There is a sock on the pick up side of the pump, usually will not give any problems. The running fuel pump pressure on a 1500 is about 2 psi (+, -). The fuel filter is located just to the right of the fuel cap. The auto petcock is just to the front of the cap (round disc looking with a vacuum hose attached).

JD

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

open the door to the gas cap and remove the in hose from the petcock turn on the ignation and see will gas flow out of it also is the kill switch in the on position

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The in tank pump pushes fuel up through the filter and into the vacuum operated petcock. While cranking there should be enough vacuum at hose to open a properly functioning petcock. It then goes to the carbs.

BTW Do all your indicator lights light up when key is first turned on. Reverse, neutral, low fuel and cruise control indicators, they should.

JD

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

How does any of this relate to the gas coming out the tail pipe. To me this said hole in float or dirt in needle valve.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Ahhh, post edit. Gas running out the tailpipe would suggest a stuck float and/or bad float valve. You can try tapping on the carbs, not easily gotten to though.

JD

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

You then have a stuck float or the choke is stuck in the on position try pushing the lever up and down to see will it free it also the engine will be flooded so you will need to let it sit for a while to dry out and dont use the choke to start it

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Okay, where the best place to buy a complete rebuild kit for both carbs on a 1989 GL-1500 that containes the seat, needle valve, floats, gaskets and o-rings who can fly one in fed x over night. I've called two place, no one has them and they are all telling me 5-7 working days to get the kits. Please advise ASAP. Thanks

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Reading your post you say your friend needs to ride in a parade tonight. I hope you find the solution before long but rebuilding the carbs seems to be out. Like what was previously mentioned , make sure the kill switch is in the on position. I've made this mistake twice and don't know how i switched it off but a good slap in the forehead was in order! ha!:ROFL:

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The bike is disassembled with the carbs still on and it fires up but upon acceleration aka craking the throttle its been noticed the tubes inside the carbs that are to move via the vacuum diaphrams both sides of the carb have one moving more than the other. Should both diaphrams be moving at the same rate at the same time under vacuum. This is not happening. Got any ideas?

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

They should move at the same rate when you snap the throttle.
You might have a sticking slide.
Try moving the slides with a finger throughout its full range of travel, and feel for any grit or resistance.
If they are not moving freely then clean them with a shot of carb cleaner spray and then a shot or two of WD40, and work them till they move freely.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I will pass this along. Has anyone ever had a diaphram go bad, cracked Y or hoses in this area crack and cause a vacuum leak that would make the barrels not move freely. Do these move at the same rate throughout the entire throttle range or just when you need power.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Okay guys, does a 1989 GW have CATS on it. If so how many and has anyone every had one clog up to the point when they try to accelerate you have excess back pressure and the motor can not tach up. It's as if it had a potatoe stuck in the tail pipes. Again, I need to know about the CATS and if anyone has ever had this problem.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

No cats brother. What is the problem, no power, won't accelerate.

JD

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

He does not have acceleration and it falls on its face. However now that he has it up on the center stand and apart it tachs perfectly. We can't put a load on it so we don't know where to go from here.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Are the brakes locked up? Spin both tires and make sure they spin freely.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can plug 1 or both brass ports ...inner top intake area at carbs and turn up the idle for a quick fix....change fuses and your/his problems need more time to diagnose/fix right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.