Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone just one question that is gonna have a bunch of different answers:

I have an 84 espy right now and I am looking at getting a 1500 so my question is what year 1500 wuold you recommend?:? I look forward to hearing what you have to say. Thanks and I Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Great new year.

Tony

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

The newest one you can afford, that been well taken care of, and doesn't have an exorbitant amount of mileage... 100,000 miles isn't something to be scared of BTW, but you probably already know this.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I looked around for quite a while for a 1500 as I wanted reverse, cruise etc and I knew I wanted an SE. As for year, I wasn't that worried as when you see the bike you want - you know it!

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

95 or newer ,they dont have the 4" gear problem , and also better front suspension ( and some other things ).

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

There is very little difference between the years 88-00.

So then:
-If money is no object, then get the most-recent year (eg A 2000yr will probably cost ~5k more than a 1988.
-Regardless of the selection, it's going to be a minimum of 11-23yrs old... Meaning that you best enjoy being a grease monkey early on, to address age-related maintenance issues... from Sticky Switches/relays, to cracked vacuum lines. That being said, if you're inclined to "fix everything upon purchase", then an older year takes no more work to bring up to stuff than does a newer year, yet much cheaper on the initial purchase.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
imported post

'98 and up have the newer Valyrie transmission which is supposed to be a bit tougher...

I just like the later style of the headlamp and trim.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
'98 and up have the newer Valyrie transmission which is supposed to be a bit tougher...

This is the answer you have been looking for. Buy 98,99, or a 2000 with low miles and never look back. :action:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Buy what fits your budget? Simple enough?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Buy what you will be happy with.

I bought my 88 1500 early this year, I have not regreted it a bit! I love this 88 !

It had a broke idler gear for the starter drive, an engine out job to fix, I knew that when I bought it and been happy just roll starting all summer and fall so far.
I'll fix that gear soon this winter if I ever stop riding it long enough LOL

The only other thing was the throttle cable broke, cost me about $10

I put on new tires, the old ones were good but I planned a ton of miles, many which I did not ride, so the tires on it would have lasted the season I think. I wanted good spares on hand anyway in case I ruin a tire so changing them early was good for me anyway.

Buy what you want with the options you want that you can afford.
I was ever so lucky to get my 1500 when I did at a price I could afford! I don't mind a roll start, or the work to fix it soon, reverse works great, no other real problems for me with it

I have never financed a vehicle in my life, only pay cash, and this 88 1500 is the first thing I ever carried more than just liability on, full coverage on this one! I know if it got totaled I would never find another I could afford!

So far I'm not sure what the talk is of 4th gear problems, this 88 has been fine but I only put about 8k on it maybe this year, it has about 178K now. Something like that, I don't really watch it that close, I thought it was 180K but noticed the other day it was a bit less.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:

This is the answer you have been looking for. Buy 98,99, or a 2000 with low miles and never look back. :action:
I thought '97 was the change over to the Valyrie transmission.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I think any 1500 if its in your price, you like it , and more importantly has maintenance records with it showing when the belts were changed and such would be a good purchase...We bought our 93 with 76k a yr ago, we got it for a good bit under book value but we got all the maintenance records with it....Good luck in your search...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

As new as you are willing to pay for.
I love my 2000 SE also.
Anything maintained will be good. Anything abused will be less so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.