Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 GL-1800 with 38,000 miles as a trike since new. Recently we noticed after a fill up that going 60 or so in 5th gear the bike will hesitate just an instant and then pick back up. Each time it is just a quick hiccup. It had been pretty regular at 10-11 seconds. So far I have tried tried dry gas, fuel injector cleaner, using 89 octane, checking the oil level and today a new set of NGK plugs. Now the problem seems worse! About twice as often and lasting slightly longer in duration. Now I can notice the RPM's just start to increase as the hiccup occurs. In 4th gear it runs perfect. This occurs whether the bike is cold or warmed up.
Any ideas? Any sensors that might be fouled?
Thanks for the look.

Dave45

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:Dave45

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind with your explanation is the transmission starting to loose 5th gear. Try it while holding the shifter up in 5th.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dave45
Be sure and post back what you find with the test of holding shift lever up in 5th that that Dave0430 mentioned. I have talked with the local wing tech at Escondido Cycle Center, he says he has had to rebuild over 40 GL1800 transmissions in the past 10 years, so there is that possibility that a shift fork went south especially if you have a heel toe shifter and ride with your foot on the shifter, or don't fully engage the lever of the stock shifter.

Have you pulled your air cleaner out and blown it out this spring? Sometimes critters will get in there over the winter looking for a new home. If you find stuff in there, vacuum it out first after removing the cover, then remove the filter and blow it out from the backside with low air pressure. Many members have found nut storage in their filter boxes. That might cause a problem like yours too, maybe not.
If there is critter problem, you can put wire hardware cloth over the airhorn opening.

I grew up in so NH, Amherst and Milford and was parts manager at Nashua Honda, back in the mid 70s when it was on Round Pond, just up the road from the new dealership. That was back when the Coke bottling plant was on the other side of the pond where all the restaurants and shopping centers are now. I might be back there in a month or so to upgrade to an 1800 to replace my totaled 99SE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing that comes to mind with your explanation is the transmission starting to loose 5th gear. Try it while holding the shifter up in 5th.
Recently I did install a heel toe shifter, Hmmm. About 6 weeks ago in Florida. I have tried hitting it hard with my heel, tried holding pressure on it with my heel and tried holding the shifter up with my toe... no difference. I wonder about having a Honda tech check it for codes. Bugs me that after changing the plugs it has gotten more often! Dave45 in FL, soon in NH

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
You can check for codes, doubtful there are any though. Oops, forgot it is a trike, you have to be able to put the side stand down, or jumper the wires to the side stand switch to check codes. Could you feel anything in the shifter when you held it and the hiccup occurred?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can check for codes, doubtful there are any though. Oops, forgot it is a trike, you have to be able to put the side stand down, or jumper the wires to the side stand switch to check codes. Could you feel anything in the shifter when you held it and the hiccup occurred?
No, none of my physical attempts on the shifter had any results. My trike does still have the sidestand if that is needed in order to test the codes. Dave

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
Test for codes by putting the stand down and start the engine without touching the throttle, if there are codes present the F1 light will blink long blinks for 10s and short blinks for single digits. I have had both my 1800s stumble at idle just once immediately after a fill up but never when on the throttle. I think that is from getting a gulp of raw fuel from the vapor canister if I over fill it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Test for codes by putting the stand down and start the engine without touching the throttle, if there are codes present the F1 light will blink long blinks for 10s and short blinks for single digits. I have had both my 1800s stumble at idle just once immediately after a fill up but never when on the throttle. I think that is from getting a gulp of raw fuel from the vapor canister if I over fill it.
By "F1 light" do you mean the FM1 radio button, or the FM1 indicator in the instrument panel? If so, then there are no codes when started in neutral with the lickstand down and not touching the throttle.

Dave

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
Below the temp gauge, next to the low fuel light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.