Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone I just joined the forum.

First a few facts. I just bought a red GL1800A this spring and have enjoyed it immensely. I live in Calgary Alberta Canada and this summer my wife and I went across Canada and back (13000 km) among other trips. My brand new Wing has now 31,000 km on it and I now must have it serviced before I put it to bed for the winter. I have checked the owners manual and everything about putting it to bed is fairly straight forward except for changing the air filter. I know it is under the cowling and I am willing to take the project on but I would like to get some step by step advise before taking it on. I have a shop manual on order but it wont be here before dec 1? and I am going to do it before then.

PS Great Bike

Biker Boy

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. To remove the air filter you have to take off the complete front shelter. Instructions for this are on the CB radio fitting pageon Steves site.You can see this page here www.goldwingfacts.com/1800CBfitting.htm

As far as I know you just need to unplug the ecm, reverse module and throttle actuator to get at the filter lid. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

All in all, not as hard as I thought by the look of it. The pictures of the false tank/shelter removal lay it out easyily. When I get my 1800 I might even be tempted to tackle this sirt of job on my own.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Biker Boy wrote:
Hey everyone I just joined the forum.

First a few facts. I just bought a red GL1800A this spring and have enjoyed it immensely. My brand new Wing has now 31,000 km on it and I now must have it serviced. I have checked the owners manual and everything about putting it to bed is fairly straight forward except for changing the air filter,
Hey Biker Boy, :crying:If you checked the owners manual, you must be missing a few pages. :baffled: Your :18red:should be coming close to her third service and second air filter replacement. If youare going to beas careless trying to change the filter :crying:as you are servicing your :18red:my advice would be, :cooldevil: leave it to a mechanic. :clapper: Welcome to the nest. :waving:

:18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to all who gave me helpful advise. The air cleaner is something I would not tackle without some guidance and now I have it. Part of belonging to forums such as this is to get advise and to discuss problems with other like minded bikers and also to avoid costly shop fees for things to be checked. Checking my manual I do see that there are two services that I have missed but I have missed them intentionally. I do not need to go to a shop and spend $75 per hour to change my oil or to check if the kickstand is lubricated. I can do that myself and I have done all the checks myself.As for the warranty all you need is proof that you have changed your oil and changed your air filter. If my memory is correct I have to change my air filter every 24000 km. I may be a little late but once a year to change my air filter is enough. I would suggest that just because i havnt taken it to a shop I dont think one should jump to the conclusion that I am careless with my bike. My suggestion to you who think that not taking your bike to a shop is being careless should think again since on a note such as this not all the facts are evident!!!!

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Taking your bike to a shop isn't always the answer Bikerboy. I doubt if they would pay as much attention to the small things like you did, ie lubing the sidestand etc. I'd be more inclined to miss an air filter change than an oil change, I suppose it depends where you live and a city bike will probably dirty up an air filter faster than a country bike.
Good luck tackling this job. It still looks like a big job from the pictures but I suppose once you do it once it will be easy after that.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The first time I took my brand new Aspy to the shop for the "required" check-up to verify the warranty, I walked out $400 US lighter than when I walked in. All the shop did was what was in the 500mile inspection for a new bike.. I could have done it in the dark with one handholding my butt.... However, the warranty check was important andthey never saw my bike again. :action:

I've seen bikes come from repair shops that had unrelated damages occur while in for service, which caused the owners to get very upset, and the workmanship is not always of good quality. Just read back on some of the articles in this forum.

An owner should take responsibility to maintain his/her own machine if they feel competent enough to do it.. That's whatowners manuals& repair manuals are for. If at some point, they don't feel they have the skills, tools or location sufficient to perform various types of maintenance, then those individuals should seek a competent technician. For example, you may feel comfortable changing plugs, oil, filter etc., but wouldn't go near removing the engine for a transmission fix... :weightlifter:

Welcome to the nest Biker Boy:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If you are any way competent you are better off doing the basic jobs yourself. If it's a safety related task (brakes, suspension) and you are not 100% sure then get a mechanic to do it. Missing out on an air filter change isn't a big deal, once the oil and oil filter are done regularly that is whats important.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
If you are any way competent you are better off doing the basic jobs yourself. If it's a safety related task (brakes, suspension) and you are not 100% sure then get a mechanic to do it. Missing out on an air filter change isn't a big deal, once the oil and oil filter are done regularly that is whats important.
Hey Biker Boy, Now you have it from Jason the Guru, :clapper:so all's well thats ends well. :waving:

:bat: :18red: :bat:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

There should be a video tutorial about changing the air filter soon. I'm doing one on an 1800 this coming week and should have the camcorder available when I'm doing it. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the clip to appear on the web though as I won't have time to edit & compress it etc. until after Halloween.

Of all the routine service items (oil, oil filter, plugs, brake pads etc) to change, the air filter is the one that lots of owners fear the most. I get asked about it every single week. It's not as hard to do as people might think. If you do it once yourself you will understand what I mean. The video clip should get the point across better.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
There should be a video tutorial about changing the air filter soon. I'm doing one onthe 1800
Of all the routine service items (oil, oil filter, plugs, brake pads etc) to change, the air filter is the one that lots of owners fear the most. I get asked about it every single week. It's not as hard to do as people might think. If you do it once yourself you will understand what I mean. The video clip should get the point across better.
Now Biker Boy :bat:you have it from the Maestro. :clapper: No more problems with changing the air/filter on the :18red: :waving:

:grinner: :18red: :grinner:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
wingnut wrote:
There should be a video tutorial about changing the air filter soon. I'm doing one onthe 1800...
That will be great Steve. The thoughts of some apprentice gunthering my panels is what is delaying many of us doing this job. At least if I damage a panel while doing it myself I will have no-one else to blame! :baffled:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
That will be great Steve. The thoughts of some apprentice gunthering my panels is what is delaying many of us doing this job. At least if I damage a panel while doing it myself I will have no-one else to blame! :baffled:
Thats why I dont do any of the servicing on my :18red:If it's done wrong then I have someone else to blame, :gunhead:I would'nt give my :18red:to an apprentice to service. :crying: The guy that services my :18red:would be in the same league as Jason the Guru:leprechaun:eek:r the Maestro :coollep:so I dont have any worries. The only problem that I have is getting a boat to the mainland when going for a spin. :grinner:

:crying: :18red: :crying:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hey guys thanx again for the info. This weekend I washed and waxed the bike one more time, changed the oil and filter and the plugs. I also took a good hard look at the downloaded instructions for the removal of the shell and you guys are right. It doesnt look too hard. It is one piece at a time. I will be doing this one step at a time. Thanx again I am glad I stumbled on this sight and I will be lurking for any tips about my bike

Biker Boy

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Biker Boy wrote:
Hey guys thanx again for the info. I also took a good hard look at the downloaded instructions for the removal of the shell and you guys are right. It doesnt look too hard. I am glad I stumbled on this sight and I will be lurking for any tips.
Three cheers for Biker Boy, :clapper:Hip,Hip, Hurragh,! etc. :clapper:Be careful and dont Stumblewith your :18red:and dont be lurking on the site, :crying:come in and pay us a visit and let us know how you got on. :waving:

:grinner: :18red: :grinner:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
There should be a video tutorial about changing the air filter soon.
Great stuff, the sooner the better Steve. Are we there yet?

Of all the routine service items (oil, oil filter, plugs, brake pads etc) to change, the air filter is the one that lots of owners fear the most.
Too right it is! The very thought of butchering something sends a chill down my spine. A video clip is the cure I think.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Looking forward to the vid clip. Are we nearly there yet wingnut? :p:baffled:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
Looking forward to the vid clip. Are we nearly there yet wingnut? :p:baffled:
Hey englishted, Be patient man. :grinner: Patience is a virtue have it ifyou can, seldom in a woman but never in a man. :gunhead: The poor wingnut is knackered :bat:trying to keep up with you guys. :leprechaun:

:waving: :18red: :waving:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.