Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I just traded my 89 wing for a 2012 wing. All my other wings had backrests on them. My 1980 had a custom seat with a backrest that was similar to the Utopia backrest, except it was removable. I need to get a backrest for the new wing but do not want a permanently attached one. I also do not want the one with the chrome pipes that attach to the passenger handles. That being said I probably will not find what I want and hate to settle for second best but still might have to.

Does anybody have a suggestion on my dilema?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I just bought a 2013 goldwing moving up from a 1500 and also wanted a backrest. I need one that can come off because my wife does not like it there, even if she has room. I just ordered a Kuryakyn 8930 from Dennis Kirk (about $250). It is supposed to be removable and fit in the trunk. I looked at the Utopia's and a couple others that were like the Utopia but removable but didn't want to poke a hole in the seat. It does have the hoop but looks like it's very adjustable. I should have it tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Utopia is the best I have seen for the 1800 ..clean neat install

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On further research there is a quick out option from utopia. Once you put the backrest in the cart then you go back and there is an area for more options, this is where you will find teh quick out feature. My order will be placed today, it will be made on May 27 and shipped once made. I will post pics once it is in my hands.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I agree that the Utopia is the cleanest looking and less expensive than what I bought, I just couldn't bring myself to cut the seat. The backrest I bought is very adjustable, forwards, backwards and up and down, and it comes off easily without messing up the setting and fits in the trunk, however the frame is large and not the clean look of the Utopia. But I didn't have to cut the seat. I thought about buying a second seat to cut, but I have the 2013 and didn't take the time to see how many different years would fit. If it was just 2012 and 2013 it would be expensive.

Just my thoughts.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Nothing matches a Utopia. I had the removeable one on my 1500 and loved it. The folks at Utopia are great do deal with as well. I too, was a bit worried about cutting the seat but it was a non-event, it was easy thanks to Steve's (our proprietor) video on the job.
I needed the back rest on my 1500 but for some reason don't seem to need one on the 1800 so far. I guess it's just the difference in the seat's shape.

·
650 Posts
utopia is the best i'v seen

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I use the Utopia and love it. It was the permanent install type but I just followed some advice from one of the members on here and replaced the bolt with a pull pin from the hardware store. Easy removal/replacement especially when I want to put on or take off the nice sheepskin I have! Can't beat it, good configuration. The hole doesn't bother me a bit, I get the comfort and good clean looks of an installed addition and it will most likely stay with the bike for the next guy to enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.