Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have seen several members mention belly pans for new 1800's to protect the vulnerable underbelly of the beast. Is this pan available aftermarket or is it a custom made piece? Will it disrupt the airflow under the machine and will it detract from handling characteristics? Is it a bad idea to run without one? I don't think my used Wing came with one.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Erinpiper - the main reason I run with one is to protect the vulnerable coolant water tank under the bike next to the center stand. The whole aerodynamic thing I doubt makes any difference.

If your interested, Windstuff has a stainless steel two piece pan for around $35 plus shipping.

Good luck!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

When I first got my 1800 I looked at one of those belly pans. Thumped it a couple times, looked at the slotted holes and said..........hum??? Kinda flimsy. However I am quite sure it will not interfere with air flow as if you look under the engine, there is no room for air flow anyway.

I took a section of flat plate aluminum and made a three sided box. Bent the edges up on three sides about 3/4 of an inch and stuck it on the bottom of the coolant tank with good heavy duty velcro. That was a year ago, it is still stuck good.

Kit

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
When I first got my 1800 I looked at one of those belly pans. Thumped it a couple times, looked at the slotted holes and said..........hum??? Kinda flimsy. However I am quite sure it will not interfere with air flow as if you look under the engine, there is no room for air flow anyway.

I took a section of flat plate aluminum and made a three sided box. Bent the edges up on three sides about 3/4 of an inch and stuck it on the bottom of the coolant tank with good heavy duty velcro. That was a year ago, it is still stuck good.

Kit
Better patent the design and get it on the market. Might make a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you Daveo and Kit. I have seen the posts about having a belly pan and being that we live on a "dirt" road I was concerned with the vulnerability. We also have many dump trucks that leave little presents that can be tough to avoid in the dark.

Thanks again so much for the help.

Erinpiper

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I have seen comments that the belly pan smooths the airflow and makes the Wing less twitchy in a strong crosswind. I have no experience of that myself.

Maybe someone could comment on that.

As for the coolant tank, I covered mine with two layers of Gorilla tape, which will need replacing next year, so I guess it needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

I have one on my 1800 for the reasons mentioned here. I can rest at ease because I have dents on the bottom of mine where all kind of things have hit the belly pan which would have cause damage especially the coolant reservior.

We have severe crosswinds here in Kansas for an example.....KANWINGS 6.19 coming home Sunday from Osage Beach, MOto Kansas, several members of this forum encountered 45 to 52 MPH crosswinds from the South. My bike and trailer did move around but I would have hated not having the belly pan. I have ridden a friend's 1800 without a pan and he road mine with the belly pan, and both of us can tell a slight difference. Riding together in the same wind conditions, my buddy noticed that my bikedid not dart across the road like he noticed his bike did.

As far as crosswinds, there is a difference but not adrastic one. As far asadding a belly pan the $35 - 40 is just cheap insurance to keep the damage on the pan instead of much more expensive parts from Mother Honda!! :cooldevil:

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

i have the belly pan on my trike. when geordiemuppet was doing some maintenance on the trike we noticed that it has a little hole in it you can see it has hit a speed bump or something like it.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Have you noticed any difference with engine heat when you install a belly pan. Is a Tulsa Belly pan better then another?

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Bob, I don't think there is much of a difference between the Tulsa and the knock offs..........

I see no temperature difference at all with other 1800's without the pan....(Yes, I looked because I had the same concern!)

Hope that helps! :cooldevil:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If I had an 1800, I'd be getting one simply to protect the delicate parts that Mother Honda has positionedunderneath. I remember reading about a member(can't recall who) that while loading their 1800 into the back of a pick up truck,using a ramp, banged andruptured the coolant reserve on the edge of the truck bed. :shock: :gunhead:

Cheap insurance, if you ask me. :baffled:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

They are surprisngly inexpensive. Might just have to macke the purchase.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

As far as noticing any engine temperature change, there is NONE that I can see. My bike runs just under the 1/2 reading on the temp gauge all the time. The same as it did before I put the pan on.

Good luck!

Daveo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.