Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Did Tapered Bearings / All Balls Cure Your Decel Wobble?

• No, it still wobbles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, never wobbled again.

• Yes, but it came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There is another thread going on about the infamous GL 1800 wobble. Some don't feel that installing tapered bearings solves the issue, some do. (My experience dictates yes, BTW)
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/121772.html

So I thought we might try a scientific experiment.

Have you had a wobble? Do you still? Did you install bearings? Did they work? Did you do something else?

Inquiring minds....

=Dave=

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Let's put this back to the top.. There must more people with some experience here... Or an opinion.. (I KNOW you've got opinions.. :cheesygrin:)

=Dave=

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

saws-n-wings wrote:
Bearings alone didnt fix my GL1800 wobble

Really? Did you get it fixed? What else did you do / need to do?

Mine didn't completely go away until I changed my worn / cupped tires, which kind of had the wiggle worn into them. It hasn't returned since, and I've had 3 or 4 sets of tires on it since. Dunop E3s, and the last set is Avon Cobras

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

I need to replace the tire,its the factory stock dunlop,but thought i would get some miles out of it first.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sure, miles are good. Did the bearing reduce your wobble? I suspect that your tires have oscillated enough to take on a pattern that induces the wobble. Mine wobbled after I did the bearings, but it went away when I put new tires on it, and it was much reduced even before the new tires.

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Ihada wobble on my 2006 right from the time I left the sales lot....improved about 50% with metzler tires. On my 2007...there has not been a wobble...3rd set of tires.. dunlops, metzlers, ,metzlers.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That's the problem.. it's inconsistant. Some bikes wobble right off the dealer's floor, some never wobble at all, and most wobble when the tires get worn, or when they feel like it. That's why there is so much controversy and so many differing opinions out there... What works for you may not work for me, and my experience will be different from yours.

BTW, the bike that started all of this, kind of, just got tapered bearings, and the wobble is gone. FWIW

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

just put bearings and progressive springs in mine, no more wobble. also put 15 wt fork oil in but that did nothing until i did the bearings.

·
Registered
110 Posts
imported post

all i did was fit Avon tyres instead of the Bridgestones and the wobble went.

alan y

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I had the wobble with the dunlops and bridgestones. New tires made it mostly go away for a while, but it always came back. CT, same results although much less wobble. I don't have the bearings or springs. I plan on doing those when I can though.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

alany wrote:

alan y
Alan, have you been through a set of Avons yet? If yes, the wobble did not return? If not, how many miles on this set?

That's the way it worked for me.. New tires, no wobble. Tires get worn, wobble. The more worn, the worse the wobble. Keeping the air pressure up helped, too. Avons 41/41 E3s 40/42 (I think.. It's been a while for the E-3s) (As they wear, they HOWL in the turns.. got tired of the noise)

=Dave=

·
Registered
110 Posts
imported post

Dandy Dave wrote:
alany wrote:

alan y
Alan, have you been through a set of Avon's yet? If yes, the wobble did not return? If not, how many miles on this set?

That's the way it worked for me.. New tires, no wobble. Tires get worn, wobble. The more worn, the worse the wobble. Keeping the air pressure up helped, too. Avon's 41/41 E3s 40/42 (I think.. It's been a while for the E-3s) (As they wear, they HOWL in the turns.. got tired of the noise)

=Dave=
I've done around 4000 miles so far on these tyresand no problems, as you say it may well return in the future. accidentally the Bridgestones went back under a complaint and they have given me a 50% rebate. however they say they admit no liability and it was a good will gesture only.

Alan Y

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I bought my 03 last November and it had a good wobble under deceleration and another wobble at a steady speed of 35 to 40 mph. I had to remove my hands from the bar to induce the steady speed wobble. Neither of these things would have bothered me if it were not for the fact my r1100rs had put me on the pavement at 63 mph after a tank slapper. (Good gear allowed me to be lucky.)

I installed the Traxxion upgrade front and rear, new roller stem bearings and a fork brace. I did all thase things at the same time so I am unable to tell exactly cured the wobble.....but it is gone. I have put on about eleven thousand miles and not a hint of wobble, and after my slide on the pavement, that is a very comforting thing.

I know that this is not very helpful to your question, but it isall I have.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Actually, Wine-r, that's quite helpful. Thank you for the reply. You're right, we really can't point to any one thing as the wobble-stopper, since you had the full monty done all at once. But, you are another rider who installed tapered bearings, and no longer have a wobble. So I think your vote would be "installed bearings, no longer wobbles.

There are 2 votes for "Did something else" #6. If you posted what it was, I'm have a hard time picking out the post. Would youi let us know what fixed it, and if you have been through a set of tires on the fix. (Mine was OK on new tires, worn tires wobbled. The nmore worn, the worse the wobble)

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Dandy Dave said: There are 2 votes for "Did something else" #6. If you posted what it was, I'm have a hard time picking out the post. Would youi let us know what fixed it, and if you have been through a set of tires on the fix.

I was one of the "did something else" votes, so based on the above quote I will go back and change my vote.
I also wanted to mention that I was amazed at the bearings I replaced, I thought mother Honda must have raided the parts bin from a mountain bike factory. Really looked flimsy and the plastic retainer ring inspired no confidence!

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thank you to everyone who replied and voted on this thread.:bow: At this point, it looks like the "Bearings fixed my wobble" experience far out numbers any other solution. While 32 votes don't make a statistical universe, the people who had bearings work for them seem to be in the vast majority, only a couple less than "Never Wobbled"

Again, thanks for your participation.

=Dave=

·
Dealben3
13 Posts
imported post

I purchased a 2001 Goldwing, the previous owner had progressive springs installed, it did not resolve the wobble. The tire is feathered and not the best, I wanted to perform the repairs to see which one would stop the wobble. I installed a fork brace and it did not resolve the issue. I purchased the Tappered bearings and installed them this weekend, i was very interested since I still have the same old tire. After installing the bearings, the wobble is gone (even with the bad tire).

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

In my old age I have put this subject in the same file with the "slippery stuff" and "round things". Oh, make no mistake, I do have my opinions on these three subjects as you and always respect any comment.

So, after complete front end and rear redo with the Taxxion System coupled with interesting tire combinations, I still do experience the wobble.

However, please review the below:

1. Traxxion suspension system was installed for unreal handling quality improvements resulting in very long daily rides day after day. Just a different bike than the stock. (Springs, hydraulics, triple clamps & bearings, rear shock).

2. Tires used on the current 1800 have been the stock Stones (very good) and now double dark siding with CT on rear and rear on front.

3. In no way was any of the above proposed to ward off the so-called-evil-spirits of the Wobble. I demand lots from this 1800 (the Beast). The wobble is an old friend that also sings to me when I'm leaning into a turn or my hands are not properly on the bars as they should be on the flat.

Don't be overly concerned about wobble if all is good including tire pressures. (I believe factory settings are too low)

All my past bikes experienced this and other issues.

Having fun and riding on to check more boxes is more important to me before I cash it all in.

Ned

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.