Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2007GL 1800 with 10,000 original miles on it. Love the bike but the engine whistle however drives me nuts.
Anything I can do to quiet it down? Thank you.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
the Alternator does not whine, but that Cam Chain sure does.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
A lot of them do that, something you just have to get used to.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Just purchased a 2007GL 1800 with 10,000 original miles on it. Love the bike but the engine whistle however drives me nuts.
Anything I can do to quiet it down? Thank you.
Robbie. Is this your first Wing?
I'll need some more details please.

At what RPM's do you hear this whistle?
Idle or running down the road.

A mechanic's stethoscope is going to help you isolate where the source of this noise is coming from.

I suggest you make a video and upload it to youtube and post a link here so we can hear it.

What you are hearing isn't normal.
Do different wings make different sounds-YES. But I have never in 20 plus years as a mechanic on wings heard them whistle.

The video will help me help you.
At 10,000 miles you shouldn't be hearing any abnormal engine sounds. (alt bearing/Water pump bearing etc)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whistle or whine of the alternator?
Well it kind of sounds like a whistle or whine or like a field of crickets 🙂
but I believe we are talking about the same noise. The one that is constant and varies in intensity with certain RPMs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robbie. Is this your first Wing?
I'll need some more details please.

At what RPM's do you hear this whistle?
Idle or running down the road.

A mechanic's stethoscope is going to help you isolate where the source of this noise is coming from.

I suggest you make a video and upload it to youtube and post a link here so we can hear it.

What you are hearing isn't normal.
Do different wings make different sounds-YES. But I have never in 20 plus years as a mechanic on wings heard them whistle.

The video will help me help you.
At 10,000 miles you shouldn't be hearing any abnormal engine sounds. (alt bearing/Water pump bearing etc)
I described it as a whistle but it could also be described as a wine or a field of crickets it is that constant sound that is more intense at certain RPMs in case of my bike it is the most intense at 3200 RPMs.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
As Dave said it might be normal and with time (like living next to a railroad track) you will not even hear it. I had an old Ford F250 4 X 4 that the IAC would sound like a haunted house when at high idle,

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
I think it sounds like a turbo. Both my '08 and '10 made/make that noise.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
The fuel injectors make some noise. I wouldn`t call it annoying though.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
I think it sounds like a turbo. Both my '08 and '10 made/make that noise.
You're right. I never thought about it but it does sound like a turbo when a turbo charged engine is idling. As soon as it steps off the fast idle or you accelerate it is gone. I thought it was unique to my truck. 😎

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Dave said it might be normal and with time (like living next to a railroad track) you will not even hear it. I had an old Ford F250 4 X 4 that the IAC would sound like a haunted house when at high idle,
I don't think so, the frequency is very annoying.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 07 has a whine sound also. I believe it is the alternator as it is louder just after start up for a few minutes and then goes down some after about 10 minutes. I have told others that it is the turbo and after riding around with me they believe it. And I am NOT a hard driver, just a creaky old man that enjoys riding.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
what noise?
an 1800 makes noise?
I can't hear it....

of course the ENT doc days I have 120 dB loss in both ears :oops:

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
I don't think so, the frequency is very annoying.
If you have a mechanics stethoscope take the end pieces out so the hose is open. Then listen and move the hose to various places to see if you can narrow down the culprit.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
Robbie, I think you are going to have to give the bike to me.

That will make your life quiet again...and there's no need to thank me. 😇

1 - 20 of 71 Posts