Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I didn't use them much during the first year I owned the bike. I started using them now this year becauce I want to ride but this cold weather refuses to leave. When I turn them on high, they warm up fast but at times they seem to shut off after 5 minutes or so and do not come back on. I have to shut the bike off and restart it in order for the grips to get warm again. This cycle has repeated its self three times in a row. It does appear though that the last time I restarted the bike to get them on, they stayed on for over ten minutes and didn't shut off. How are the suppose to work? The temp outside was 43 degrees. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What year is your bike? If for sure they are shutting down that is not normal. They should heat all the time.

You will notice though at stop lights or in heavy traffic they do not heat as well as when the bike is up to speed and the alternator is putting out full power. I have noticed that on several bikes and consider that a normal situation for them to not heat as well when stopped or in slow traffic.

But if shutting off completely, the heat control unit is bad most likely, seems to be one of the things that happens, if under warranty take it to the dealer, they will change the heat controller, or maybe one of the grips is bad.

Kit

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I have had this happen once also.:? Mygrips stopped heating.:X SoI shut the bike off and restarted it and the grips began to work again.:) About 5 minutes later they quit again.:? SoI repeated the start stop thing. Nothing? Both my heated grips and heated seat would not work. :? Well, off to the dealers for some warranty work. The problem was theright grip had gone out. :shock: I didn't believe that one grip could cause the seat also not to work but that apparently that is the way they are wired up. Anyway, they replaced theright grip and all is well again. :clapper:I guess time will tell if you have a heated grip going bad? I know that with the heated seatsthat there is a temperature sensitive controller that determines the amount of current applied based on the outside temperature. I don'tthink this controllerhas any effect on the heated grips, but I am not 100% sure?. I haven't purchased the extended warranty yet, but Honda Direct had it for $445 for the 4 years. Which to me sounds like a good deal if one plans to keep his bike longer than 3 years. Hope this info helps. Stay warm! :waving:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

had this problem on my 07. Honda stripped it down and checked every thing took them 2 weeks to find out it was the left grip at fault.mine would work for so long then the left one would go colder then the right then they would shut down till i restarted the bike.

hope this helps

Glenn/UK

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for your input. Its an 06 and I also bought the extended warranty from Hal(honda direct parts). I took advantage of the 10% sale last month and purchaced the 4yr for around $400.00. The heated seats work fine and both grips heat up equally and shut off at the same time. So off to the dealer it will go.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That warranty the Hal sells is a very good deal. Just one trip to a shop for almost anything will wipe out what it costs.

It is good peace of mind in case a major situation develops with a bike. Although rare it does happen.

I had a problem with my clutch on my new bike, I never took it to the dealer, mainly because I do all my own work, but the parts alone were right at 300 dollars. And I spent two hours making a specialty tool out of a plumbers strainer wrench to hold the clutch basket.

But I also purchased the warranty, just in case. Spring has sprung, weather is getting nice, so if my bike does die, the dealer I would take it to will give me a loaner till mine is fixed, so I think I would just let him have at it.

That warranty is great, and one third the price of most dealers.

Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.