Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

does anyone know what would cause both low beam bulbs to go out at the same time? i just replaced them a month ago, again. the alternator doesn't seem to be putting out more than 14.5.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

• Check for open circuit in the Green (ground) wire for each part.
LIGHTING SYSTEM
• The headlights go off when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for starting.
• The low beam headlights remain on when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for reverse running.
Low beam headlights do not light with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty bulbs
• Faulty HEADLIGHT LO relay (page 20-16)
• Faulty starter/reverse switch (page 20-35)
• Faulty diode (D21)
• Blown No. 9 fuse or No. 26 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
• Loose or poor contact of related connectors
• Open circuit in related wires
Low beam headlights go off during reverse running
• Open circuit in the Blue wire between the headlight LO relay and reverse regulator assembly
• Faulty diode (D8 ) (page 19-28 )
• Open circuit in the White/blue wire between the reverse position switch and reverse regulator assembly
Both high beam headlights do not light with the dimmer switch pushed to “ ”
• Faulty dimmer switch (page 20-36)
• Open circuit in the Blue/white wire between the starter/reverse switch and dimmer switch
Left high beam headlight does not light with the dimmer switch pushed to “ ”
• Faulty bulb
• Open circuit in the Blue wire between the left headlight and dimmer switch
Right high beam headlight does not light with the dimmer switch pushed to “ ”
• Faulty bulb
• Faulty HEADLIGHT HI relay (page 20-16)
• Blown No. 24 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
Taillights and meter lights do not light with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty TAIL relay (page 20-16)
• Blown No. 5 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
Brake lights do not come on when the brake is applied with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty brake light switch (page 20-37)
• Faulty STOP LIGHT relay (page 20-16)
• Faulty HORN TURN relay (page 20-16)
• Blown No. 18 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

Just for chuckles I would swap the LO and HI beam relays they are identical as far as I know. If that makes no change leave them that way, if something changes Do a double take at them relays...

KG6QBB
Macabre Character

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Did you handle the glass on the new bulbs with your bare hands when you fitted them? That can dramatically shorten their service life.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

When replacing the rubber covers make sure that the arrow is on top, because if not, condensation will also get in and destroy the bulbs.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

cycleman0622 wrote:
does anyone know what would cause both low beam bulbs to go out at the same time? i just replaced them a month ago, again. the alternator doesn't seem to be putting out more than 14.5.
Well, I had this same issue over the four years of having the 1800 too.
I boiled it down to rough roads and time the lights are on. 12-15K miles per year with constant shocking. I replace both once a year for stock, run of the mil bulbs and the high intensity bulbs much sooner. (gave up on those) Also, when one goes, I replace both, as it is a short time later the other goes. Having one go out on tour is a drag especially in rain and fog mountain riding. I do carry a pair and double filament brake light bulbs too.

If you touch the glass, clean it with solvent, like alcohol before installing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,743 Posts
imported post

Did they actually burn out at the same time, or did they lose power? If they burned out the exact same time, that would indicate a power surge. If they burned out close to the same day, that could just be the bulb aging.

When my bike was newer, the headlight bulb would burn out when the battery was about to self destruct. I figured the problem batteries of the day caused it becauseonce YUASAcorrected the problem,I stopped burning out bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.