Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I shift into overdrive I hear a loud whining sound that doesn't quit until I shift down a gear? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

My 08 has a louder whine in 3rd and 4th than in OD, always has since new. I figure as long as it's in warranty I'm going to ride until it fails. I'm probably going to buy an extended warranty too.
Maybe you should take it by a dealer and let a mechanic ride it for an opinion.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Mine has always had a whine. The stock mufflers are so quiet that you hear every little normal noise it makes. I asked around and found other bikes whine too. I put a set of Borla mufflers on and now it sounds much better.;) But you better check to make sure. A squeal is very bad however.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

wingrider09 wrote:
When I shift into overdrive I hear a loud whining sound that doesn't quit until I shift down a gear? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Welcome to the site, the very best goldwing site on the web.

Depends on the year, but because it is so quiet you hear the alternator, some worse than others but its normal:action:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The fairing on the GL1800 doesn't muffle engine noise as well as on the older Wings.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

That whine reminds me of when I drove a truck and to me demonstrates a nice tightly meshed gear drive.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

My machine sounds great in all gears but when I shift into overdrive it has a loud distinct whining sound that does not seem normal? Could it be the alternator that I have read about in some of the other forums? When I let off the throttle the sound goes away?

Brian

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Nothing should come through you sound system at any time. Did you add something to your system. Sounds like you need a resistor.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

wingrider09 wrote:
This sound even comes through the intercom system when I am in overdrive?

Brian
Depends on the year of your wing, there is a 'addon' wiring kit to eliminate the alternator whine. I think this was included on models from 2005 onwards :action:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.