Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After cooling system flushed at dealership the cooling system will not stay full to the bottom of the radiator cap. Replaced cap and pulled recovery tank and water grommet on pickup tube looks good. Tightened all the clamps. Still after topping the cooling system and letting engine cool overnight the system is about 1/2 cup low (cannot see coolant in filler neck of radiator). Engine runs normal temperature and fans work normal in 80 degree weather. I am not sure what way to go or what to look for. The dealership cannot find the problem and I am left to fix it myself. I did notice a smell of coolant on the way home from the original flush and found that coolant was seeping from the three hose clamps at the Y at the back of the engine above the recovery tank. I secured this clamps no other signs of coolant leak. I have the cookie sheet at the bottom of the engine and does not show a leak but I still am having to add coolant to the system. Please help.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

I hope this is not a dumb question but do you fill the reservoir to the proper level? The cap should let coolant escape from radiator to the res. while heating up. Then pull coolant back when it cools. Assuming the reservoir is full and all connections are air tight. (good radiator cap, hose to the res.,all hose connections)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum beth92505
Have you checked the water pump for weeping or covered with oil? That will give you the smell if small leak.
How many miles are on it? (That needs to be on your profile, helps in diagnosing)
Also what year is it?

Been warm over there I heard tonight, balmy here this afternoon & tonight at the beach.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. The GL1800 is well known for badly fitting hose clamps, that's more than likely your problem. Pull the top shelter and check all the hose clamps, replace any bad ones.
You will find instructions for pulling the top shelter in the "workshop" articles on the site.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
imported post

After you top up your radiator and warm up the bike how full is your recovery tank? Check your recovery tank level when the bike is warm. I had a leak a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the right radiators hose that ran down the front of the radiator hose clamp. It didnt drip when cold but under pressure and riding would drip and leave a dried coating on top of the lower cowl and that typical sweet smell. I though it was road grime until I looked at it closely. If you have a big leak it will leave some physical trace and smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.