Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. I am courious if anyone has had problems with shifting from 4 to 5 and gear pops out to a reves fast till shifted in again.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

If you do a search on the forum here you will find it listed as Ghost shifting.

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
That is called Ghost Shifting. Google "GL1800 ghost shifting" for more information.
It is a sign that your transmission is on its way to eventually failing. Like Greg said do a google search and you'll find out more information that you really wanted to.

Henry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It could also be something as simple as failing to get the lever all the way into 5th gear. Make sure you can feel it go into gear all the way, fifth sometimes seems it needs a little more push to get it into gear than the lower gears do. Seemed that way on my 1500 too. Also make sure you aren't letting the clutch back all the way out before having the lever fully shifted.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Can't tell if you have a "heal and Toe" shifter, some times they can cause premature wear on the shifting forks. The forks may be worn to the point where the fifth gear placement is sometimes not satisfied.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you for the tips. Googled ghost shifting for the 1800 not a good read at all. Guess I will be thinking about selling the gold one and buying a bmw.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

I have an 08 model that has jumped out of 5th a couple times on me in the last 3 years,it isn't the bike,it was me not fully shifting it into 5th.

You have to put a firm toe into it or it will jump out.After the last time it jumped out on me I made it a habit to shift it firmly on each shift.I even go as far as to pull the clutch in and pull up on shifter again if I am not sure it went in all the way.I havn't had a problem out of it for a couple years now.

Might be just me,but it seems the 1800 can be clunky shifting unless your timeing and RPM are just right.Just like a woman,learn what she likes and there isn't a problem.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Oh my! Toasted rear ends. I remember an iron butter saying a tow truck driver told him he had towed a lot more bmeers from failed rear ends than broken down HDs. Imagine that!
Yes bmers have their own problems, the clutch engine seals go and ruin the clutch if you don't pay to have the engine pulled and replace the seal. While your in there they talk you into a new clutch too. The wing is better than the high dollar bmer.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

GregForesi wrote:
Now you can do a search for Beemer final drive failures.

Final drive days.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

just got my 06 back from transmission rebuild... same problem would not go into fifth gear... cost me 3800 dollars to fix it... it is been fixed it is very sound in shifting now, no chattering no slipping time will tell how it holds up. thought about getting rid of it but I like too much. good luck with your choice enjoy... ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

RiderRick wrote:
just got my 06 back from transmission rebuild... same problem would not go into fifth gear... cost me 3800 dollars to fix it... it is been fixed it is very sound in shifting now, no chattering no slipping time will tell how it holds up. thought about getting rid of it but I like too much. good luck with your choice enjoy... ride safe

Many thanks Rick and welcome to the site.

How many miles on the bike when the first issue came up?

Does the bike have a heal & toe shifter?

What did the dealer / repair shop indicate what the cause was?

What parts were replaced do to wear or damage?

Thanks for your inputs.
Ned

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.