Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For those who are using the NGK IRIDIUM IX BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs in their 1800s, at what mileage intervals are you changing plugs. Still at every 16,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I will pull mine at 20,000 miles if all is OK, clean and reinstall. My van has a set with well over 100,000 miles on them.

It's good to inspect plugs for proper combustion analysis. Just my take on this.

Longboater,

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

I checked the original plugs at 20,000mi. and they still looked new. Since I already have a set I may change them at 25,000 or so.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

:shock:Change mine at 17,000 , they still looked good :gunhead:probably could have gone another 17,000:toast:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
For those who are using the NGK IRIDIUM IX  BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs in their 1800s, at what mileage intervals are you changing plugs.  Still at every 16,000 miles? 
Arn't the original OEM's good for 32000 :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

globetrotter wrote:
Lil Pete wrote:
For those who are using the NGK IRIDIUM IX BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs in their 1800s, at what mileage intervals are you changing plugs. Still at every 16,000 miles?
Arn't the original OEM's good for 32000 :leprechaun:
Shop Manual indicates that the standard spark plugs are to be replaced at 16,000 miles. Valve clearance is to be checked at 32,000 miles.

So the question is, are the IRIDIUM IX BKR6EIX-11 lasting longer?

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

kittyrat wrote:
Also not a bad idea to check them so they don't freeze in the head.
You need not worry about the original plugs seizing in the head. Plugs coated for aluminum heads and properly torqued will not seize. I replace plugs in Honda cars with well over 100,000 miles and have never had an original plug not come right out. The seize usually because they were left too loose when replaced and combustion residue works it's way up around the threads. Removing and re-installing a used plug is more likely to cause it to seize than just leaving them alone. Tighten them to the proper torque with no oil or grease on the threads and they will always come out. If you don't have a torque wrench to tighten them with just tighten until you feel the gasket crush.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

put new plugs in my 1800 this past fall, the old non iridium NGK plugs had a little over 40,000 smiles on them, the gap was way wider than it was supposed to be but it ran fine, didn't notice anything different with the new plugs

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

cycledude wrote:
put new plugs in my 1800 this past fall, the old non iridium NGK plugs had a little over 40,000 smiles on them, the gap was way wider than it was supposed to be but it ran fine, didn't notice anything different with the new plugs
Possibly a few extra mpg's ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.