Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, looking for a little clarification on Steering head bearings. I just spent the afternoon tearing the front end apart, knocked out the steering head bearings, why: because there was a notch in the front end when I checked it. Started putting things back together and I noticed that the after market taper bearings are the same size. The ball type I took out were different sizes. I am going to assume that the kit was put together wrong.
I also assume that the bearing sizes are different for top and bottom on all makes of 1800, not just the American version. Any body else run into this issue?

Brian

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
UK models have the same steering bearings as USA models Brian, ie the lower bearing is larger than the upper one. What kit is it that came with the wrong bearings?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GW
It is an All Balls Bearing & Components kit from Kimpex. It even had a label on it for GL 1800 Goldwing 01 - 12 along with several other models. The other thing is I got it from the Honda Dealer. GO Figure. Mine is an 02. I just haven't updated my profile yet so don't go by my 83 that is displayed on it.

Brian

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The lower bearings carry all the weight of the front end of the bike so they are larger. The upper bearings just keep the steering stem shaft centered in the head. I don't think Honda has changed the head bearings in any of the model years of 1800.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.