Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello ya'll. I'm new here and this is my first post. I bought an '03 GL 1800 about 6,000 miles ago and need some new tires. The owners manual only identifies the Dunlops or the Bridgestones. My wing currently has the Dunlops, but can anyone shed any light on which set might be better, and where I can get a set without paying dealer prices.

Thank you.

·
IBA member
12 Posts
imported post

TEX I AM A NEW GUY HERE ALSO.
I LIKE THE AVONS THEY COST A LITTLE MORE BUT I FEEL THEY
ARE WORTH IT.MY SECOND CHOIS WOULD BE THE E-3 DUNLOP.
I BUY MINE FROM WING-STUFF ALSO FROM DERICT LINE WHEN
I CAN GET THEM ON SALE.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:)Welcome to the forum lads,,, if you go to forum search on the right hand side of the page,,and type in 1800 tyres,, theres enough stuff there to keep you busy:waving::waving: by the way,,,Bridgestones are the way to go:cool::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
Bridgestones ... they rock
:)I thought it was all that welsh choir stuff, that you insist on blaring out that rocked:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES ..BRIDGESTONES

:leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

For heaven's sake, don't buy them from a dealer. I get mine from a local independent shop way cheaper. In a city the size of San Antonio there's bound to be a good independent.

I just changed my back tire from a Dunlop to Bridgestone because I wasn't happy with the 10K I got with the E-3. If this one doesn't work out better I may give the car tire as in Kit's thread a try.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

O.K. let me re-phrase the question. The best quote I have so far is $ 460.00 out the door for new front and rear tires, installed balanced and done. Can I find just the tires for $ 200.00 +/- ? I know where I can get them installed and balanced for $ 25.00 each.

Never heard of Avons, more info...

Pros and cons of all mentioned earlier???

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Your satisfaction with whatever tires you get depends a lot on how and what kind of roads you ride. If it's mainly open highway and city and you ride like you have good sense then Bridgestones are a fine tire, if you don't mind the teeth chattering hard ride that is. If you ride hard and fast on twisty mountain roads the Dunlop E3 is a good tire but won't last but then none will in that environment. I haven't tried Avons so I don't know. I love my car tire (rear) for any kind of riding and am experimenting with a new front tire. I'll know about that in a few thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Tex wrote:
O.K. let me re-phrase the question. The best quote I have so far is $ 460.00 out the door for new front and rear tires, installed balanced and done. Can I find just the tires for $ 200.00 +/- ? I know where I can get them installed and balanced for $ 25.00 each.

Never heard of Avons, more info...

Pros and cons of all mentioned earlier???
I've heard nothing but good things about the Avon Cobra tire (or tyre).

I've ordered a set and had them 'Rhinoed'. I like the looks of this and thought I would give this a try too.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well everyone has an opinion, so here is mine, for the 1800 there is really only one choice, Bridgestone Tires, specifically the 704/709.
More to tires than a bit of extra wear, to hold the road is more important as is the handling of the tires.

A set of new tires from any of the online stores such as motorcycle superstore and other well known online places will cost you right at $300 dollars. Maybe just a bit more, that is the going price.

So the extra money you are paying the dealer is for the time to take the tires off the bike and to mount and balance them.

So unless you have a lift and the tools, torque wrench, etc, time you buy all that , about the same,

You can look around, some dealers have deals, if you purchase the tires from them they will mount them on certain days for 25 dollars a tire or so.

Tires are expensive, you will not find a new set of fresh new tires for $200 dollars.

Just the rear tire alone averages $160 dollars.

Kit

·
IBA member
12 Posts
imported post

JUST MY EXPERIENCE

ON MY 06 WING THE TIRES THAT COME ON THE BIKE DUNLOP 250
I GOT 20,000 MILES OUT OF THEM.

THEN I REPLACED THEM WITH DUNLOP E-3 20,000 OUT OF THEM.

THEN BRIDGESTONES I ONLY GOT 12,000 MILES OUT OF THEM AND
THE CORDS WAS SHOWING.

THEN I PUT ON A SET OF AVONS VENTOMS GOT 20,000

I NOW AM RUNNING THE AVONS COBRA WITH 14,000
I THINK THEY WILL GET 20,000

DUNLOP 250 NOISY IN TURNS.
DUNLOP E-3 NOISY IN TURNS.
BRIDGESTONES NOISY IN TURNS.
AVON VENTOMS QUIETER.
AVON COBRA QUIETER.

ALL THE TIRES DID CUP BUT THE AVON RUN A LITTLE QUIETER.

NEXT GOING DARK SIDE DUNLOP 195/55R/16 WINTER SPORT
RUN FLAT.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I just purchased a set of Bridgestones to replace the Dunlops that came on my 09. The best price I found was at American Motorcycle Tire.

American Motorcycle Tire
------------------------------------------------------
Date Ordered: Sunday 01 March, 2009

Products
1 x BRIDGESTONE G709 130/70HR18 63H GL180 (BR7055) = $112.03
1 x BRIDGESTONE G704 180/60R16 74H GL1800 (BR7060) = $147.27
Sub-Total: $259.30
GROUND SHIPPING (Code 2000 Minnesota, United States ): $16.79
Total: $276.09

As for the Avon Cobras, after 7 or 8 thousand miles my Cobras developed a slight low speed shake and started singing in the corners. I think I was feeling the cupping. I thought the Cobras gripped the road very well in almost all conditions, wet or dry. However, I found them to be terrible on tar snakes.

At 10,000 miles the front tire was down to the wear bars and cupped pretty bad, I went back to Bridgestones.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Wilson0388,

That is some impressive mileage. My Dunlop D250s and Avon Cobras were both down to the wear bars at 10,000 miles.

I get better mileage with the Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I ran the first set of stock Dunlop's to 22,000 miles on my 07 Wing. I have a set of E3's now at about 16,000 and still going although they are starting to "sing" a bit more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.