Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

buddy has an 03 1800 and it will not start in gear. I was sure th clutch switch was faulty........I bypassed it and still no . The switch is good anybody had that before . Where to go next . ?

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Ok....You bypassed the switch. I will assume you connected the two switch wires together....right...????

You checked the switch. For continuity across the switch terminals with the plunger pressed.....right....????

Did you verify if the switch is getting a ground from the side stand switch...?????????? That might be helpful.....;)

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Open wire down inside the bike. Yikes! Do you have a FSM with wiring diagrams?
yes I have access to a Honda service manual I could borrow. And will do

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok....You bypassed the switch. I will assume you connected the two switch wires together....right...????

You checked the switch. For continuity across the switch terminals with the plunger pressed.....right....????

Did you verify if the switch is getting a ground from the side stand switch...?????????? That might be helpful.....;)
yes as you wrote switch is good and plunger actuation is good I will borrow a service Manual from a freind to route. Good Idea to check from ground supplyed by side stand. Will do tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
As Dave indicated, with the switch unplugged one wire must be hot and the other wire must be grounded. That way you will know what side to go after.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
buddy has an 03 1800 and it will not start in gear. I was sure th clutch switch was faulty........I bypassed it and still no . The switch is good anybody had that before . Where to go next . ?

CrystalPistol, Did you read what I highlighted.....???

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Yeah … but I've seen guys use terms like bypass and it not being exactly what they meant ... and I'm not privy to wiring diagrams for 1800 clutch switches so I'm not so sure a simple bypass works like on my lawnmower pto or seat switch?
I do know that that bushing pictured is sacrificial, it wears and in time it will stop pushing the clutch MC rod in far enough to trip the switch, so the bike fails to start in gear then.
Sorry.
I may have assumed too much on the "bypass" part of his post. You are correct about the bushing wear, I have seen that happen.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
Yeah … but I've seen guys use terms like bypass and it not being exactly what they meant ... and I'm not privy to wiring diagrams for 1800 clutch switches so I'm not so sure a simple bypass works like on my lawnmower pto or seat switch?
I do know that that bushing pictured is sacrificial, it wears and in time it will stop pushing the clutch MC rod in far enough to trip the switch, so the bike fails to start in gear then.
Sorry.
That bushing has nothing to do with the clutch switch, you could take it out and throw it away and the switch would still work. The bushing the lever pivots on is another story.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
That bushing has nothing to do with the clutch switch, you could take it out and throw it away and the switch would still work. The bushing the lever pivots on is another story.
I think Crystal is thinking the cruise switch issue. Right Church. Wrong pew. 😎

·
Registered
8 Posts
Today early morning, I came here to ask the same question but the thread is already created I didn't bypass the switch, asked a buddy to do that for me, and it worked for me.
I am no expert but I guess there could be an issue with the bypassing.

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
Today early morning, I came here to ask the same question but the thread is already created I didn't bypass the switch, asked a buddy to do that for me, and it worked for me.
I am no expert but I guess there could be an issue with the bypassing.
Did you know how good the guys are here? (How good are they?) They are so good they can answer your question before you even ask it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
I think Crystal is thinking the cruise switch issue. Right Church. Wrong pew. 😎
No.

Twice (once on my 1200, and once on my 1500) I had it develop that if you killed it like at a stop light by maybe not applying enough throttle as letting the clutch out, etc … that when the clutch lever was pulled in, the starter would not work and I had to go to neutral to restart. Both times I found that bushing to be so worn that the push rod was nearly through it, thus not pushing full stroke on the push rod and not activating that switch. Both times a new bushing put in place cured the issue, so I bought extras. This is not a pivot bushing for the lever, it is a bushing that provides a pocket for the end of the steel push rod to reside in and it rotates in operation.

I maybe used the cruise control three or four times on the 1500, the 1200 had no cruise control.

See my post #18 in this thread.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
No.

Twice (once on my 1200, and once on my 1500) I had it develop that if you killed it like at a stop light by maybe not applying enough throttle as letting the clutch out, etc … that when the clutch lever was pulled in, the starter would not work and I had to go to neutral to restart. Both times I found that bushing to be so worn that the push rod was nearly through it, thus not pushing full stroke on the push rod and not activating that switch. Both times a new bushing put in place cured the issue, so I bought extras. This is not a pivot bushing for the lever, it is a bushing that provides a pocket for the end of the steel push rod to reside in and it rotates in operation.

I maybe used the cruise control three or four times on the 1500, the 1200 had no cruise control.
Still yet that push rod does not contact the switch. How it fixed your problem I have no idea.
In this case I suspect the side stand switch if he did in fact bypass the clutch switch with no results.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This bike has 80,000 km or 50,000 m. And in good condition the lever mechanical action is good I can Ear both clic and if I remove wires from the proper switch the one doing the second clic or near the end of application of clutch lever ( not the cruise switch with is the first clic) and put an ohm meter on terminal it worked great . The bike is not at my place now I will get the bike and shop manual sometime this week. Many hanks for the help . Will keep you posted later

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Still yet that push rod does not contact the switch. How it fixed your problem I have no idea.
… etc …
You know …. it's been a good number of years, seems I did re-bush the lever on the 1200 now that I think more on it. Don't think I did that on the 1500, but I did deep six some uncomfortable part metal / part rubber Kuryakin (spl) grips that were on it when purchased. Both were operations maybe done while visiting the bushing. I guess it is possible I attributed the fix erroneously to that bushing???

1 - 20 of 33 Posts