Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The gearbox presently used on the 1800 is rubbish and I would like to see a better one developed for use on future wings. My 2004 1800 developed a selector fault(1st,5th & reverse could not be engaged) after about 26,000 miles. I have since learned that other bikes are showing similar problems. Honda did not admit to faultyparts used on my bike, and they did no admit liability. Iforked out(pardon the pun) £2,703.85 to have new parts and bike rebuild, even though my bike was still under warranty.

So Honda, isn't it time to admit to faulty parts/workmanship and honour the guarantees and to look after your customers?

I sold my3 year old bike and traded it in for a new one. Fingers crossed, that I don't have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I love the GL1800, I think it is the best bike ever built. I am sorry you have had so much trouble with your bike, and do think it unusual. A few of the bikes have developed transmission problems, but not a great many. Exactly why they have done this I am still trying to figure out, I have several ideas on it but no real knowledge of if I am right or not.
The reverse gear would not be related to transmission failure, most likely one of the relays or maybe even the actuator motor could have been faulty.

I have also came to know that bikes purchased in the US and taken to Canada, the dealers will not honor the warranty. (do not know what is up with that)

Usn's in the states though seem to get pretty good service. I just recently purchased the extended warranty for my bike as I found it at a great price. I would not have done this if not for the few bikes that have developed transmission problems , and the fact I do not know for sure what is causing this on a select few of the bikes. The warranty cost me less than $500 dollars and even the parts to do the job myself would push $700 dollars, so I made the choice to purchase the extended warranty.

There is this theory that pre-loading the shifter, or the heel toe shift with excess pressure will bend a shift fork and start the process. I tend to fully disagree with all these ideas. The shift whether it be standard or heel/toe does have a stop on it, it will only go so far, and it is a positive shift, you do have to release the shift lever and allow the return spring to reset it before shifting again.

I have an idea about it, but not just sure yet. I need to see one more opened up to make up my mind about it exactly .

Sorry you had so much trouble. And I also hope you have none with your new purchase.

Kit

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Pssstttt!! Chris. Did you know, that that trailer will bust your frame, and knock your tranny out??!! Not to mention, voiding the warrenty. Just ask almost any dealer. :shock:

Seriously, I know quite a lot of 1800 riders, and most complain about the "clunk", but there's not been any tranny failures around here. Not to say, that it won't happen. I did know of one 1500 failure, due to floorboards. But, that can happen to any tranny with a huge foot (steel toed boot worse) under shifter, then dive into a good "lefter" and force shifter up, bending fork. Ugly!

Mostly, a winger has to operate one of these kinda like an old 40's International pickup. There's no syncromesh, so it's up to us to mentally sync. the tranny gears and rpm. It can be done, but, for some, it's not easy.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Precisely what is the poll supposed to accomplish?

It is highly unlikely that a Honda person would vote on it, so you'll have 100% 'forum' whatever that means.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Morning Kit,

Thanks for your imput. I would like to add that my bike was fitted with the factory fitted toe shift. and was the european model. Also I only towed the trailer for about 500 miles so I cannot say that towing would have been the blame.

Honda did say that it was probably due to me changing gear without using the clutch (any excuse!) I have ridden bikes since I was 16, I am now 51. In all my riding life, I have never experienced gear problems.

Yes, I agree that the goldwing is a fantastic bike, but even the best machines sometimes have flaws. And sometimes we get the 'rouge', maybe it was I who had that 'rouge'.

Of course Honda would never admit that the goldwing had a design fault. Think of the damage/loss of salesthat this would cause.

If you have any more thoughts on this subject, please keep them coming.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

The reason that a vehicle bought in the USA & brought to Canada will have no warranty is because vehicles bought in the US are way cheaper than here & when the dollar hit par, everyone & their dog was buying from the states which impacted our auto sector here in Canada. So the bullies here are pulling that kind of crap as punishment.

This is not my opinion, It's what the media has stated.

What we need is a blown 1800 tranny to be pulled apart & documented several times over to show a pattern in design fault and begin the arbitration process with solid evidence to back it up.:2finger:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I just met a fellow named Doug Roberts from Miami Florida today and we spent some time together while his 2007 was being serviced at a local dealer here in Canada before he sets out for Alaska. Doug has about 110,000 miles on his wing right now and has had some problems. As I understand it, he is on hissecond clutch and hissecond transmission. He has a number of pictures documenting what appear to be a lack of sufficient oil flow to gears and dogs and what appear to be improperly tempered shift forks. Honda tried to deny warrantee based on a heel toe shifter and the pulling of a trailer but eventually gave in and fixed the problems.Doug can be reached at [email protected] and I'm sure he wpouldn't mind if you contacted him as he is a very approachable and knowledgeable guy. Doug also sells a fix for the wear tabs on Kuryakin floorboards and has a demo on you tubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuVgJ5EIGQ. Hope this is of some help to you.

Oh, another funny thing regarding Honda and warrantee. Extended warrantee for a wing in Florida is normally about $400.00 . Doug had to pay $800.00 as he is a high miler. Here in Canada, the same warrantee extension to 7 years is $1700.00 . Kind of makes you wonder......... As far as cross border warrantee is concerned, Honda initially tried to refuse warratee on bikes purchased in the States but registered in Canada, but it is my understanding that the courts have overruled this and they now have to honour the warrantee regardless. Honda is still fighting this decision claiming that Canadian bikes are different in some respects from their American counterparts and that is their reason for refusal. Canadian bikes are made in a separate production run (in Canada there are only three variants available versus about 7 in the States) so there may be some truth to this argument. This separate run and its associated tooling costsbeing amortized over fewer units are the main reason, in conjunction to the disparity on the respective dollars, for the cost difference on North American built wings. Canadian bikes are about $5000.00 to $7000.00 more dependent on the model!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.