Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi people. Bit of a basic question really. Just wondered if someone with larger family jewels than me has ever seen what top speed on a GL 1800 is?. Roads here in N.Z. not exactly conducive to full speed runs. And when you get caught at more than 50 km/hr above posted limit it is automatic loss of license, loss of your bank a/c & also your vehicle (2 or 4 wheeled) is impounded for minimum 28 days. The tow truck operator does not need to have a diploma in carefully collecting impounded vehicles from the roadside either!. Anyhow, even though I somehow managed to buy a new wing, I definitely cannot afford the cost associated with trying her out so to speak here in N.Z. Anyone out there defied the law & know their top speed?:18yellow:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I could be mistaken, but I thought I heard somewhere that the 1800 was "chipped" to limit the top speed. :baffled:

I did have my old 85I 1200 up to 115 once and still had a ways to go to the redline. That's when I questioned myself, what the heck are you doing?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I can only confirm that they will do the wrong side of 125mph. :angel:With a fair bit more to spare.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

I heard 135-140 MPH. I think a woman got a stocker up to 140 on the salt flats.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

My GPS from garmin keeps your highest speed displayed until deleted. Several years ago on the M6 toll road in the early hrs of the morning I was heading to catch the ferry home. I was on the wing with a pillion passenger, both panniers and topbox full to the limit and towing a fully laden Escapade Elite trailer with a bag straped on top of it. When I got to the boat the max speed displayed on my GPS was 119.6 mph. Not bad when you consider the trailer and a fully laden bike. Also an indication of just how good the Escapade Trailer is. As I recall this was a one-off and not recommended. A nice 70mph cruising speed is much better and a whole lot safer.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

dont know for sure on the 1800 . but i do know that my 1100 ( 81 ) would do the inducated 125 with two up . speedo only went to 85 . but my rideing buddies went to 150 . thats about all i could get 125 mph .

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
I can only confirm that they will do the wrong side of 125mph. :angel:With a fair bit more to spare.
Pretty much agree with that Pete, which is probably around 115 to 120 real speed and as far as I would care to go with such a large machine. I also concur with what Littlejohn says about the Escapade, but they still aren't worth the money. ;)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

My wrist and sphincter are apparently connected. The farther I twist the throttle, the greater the suction to the seat. I will run her to about 85 to make a hot pass, but then I back off.

Having bounced off a dashboard at 60 in 92, (shoulda died), I have no desire to experiment with a bike...

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Christine wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Pretty much agree with that Pete, which is probably around 115 to 120 real speed and as far as I would care to go with such a large machine. I also concur with what Littlejohn says about the Escapade, but they still aren't worth the money. ;)
That was me, not her. :cheeky1:

Someone didn't log out. :2finger: :tongue:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

The rev limiter kicks in at about 5800rpm, this translates to about 122 mph in 4th, which it will do easily, or about 133mph in 5th. I don't think it would get there in 5th except under the most favourable conditions.

BTW hitting that rev limiter is scary, sounds like it will fall apart. I will not be doing this again.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Here in Oz, we have a State called Northern Territory where up until recently they had no speed limit on the highways once out of town. I was touring with my mate and we came across a convoy of "blue rinse nomads" to overtake this convoy I got up to 200 kph (verified by a man in blue who told me to slow down). The bike seemed to have more in it, but that was enough for this time.

The speed limit has since been added to their highways, so it is now illegal to do that speed.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Mine goes fast enough to almost instantly go around dawdlers on the back roads. Scan the road up ahead for deer, dogs, turtles and oncoming logging trucks and it will zip around them like they are standing still.

Top end, have no idea, long ago I was on a bike that went into a high speed wobble, that cured me of all that kind of nonsense.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

dunno. I'm too eskeered to go "fast". :angel2::cooldevil:

But I have FULL confidence that this statement is true...

Silverfox wrote:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

The only thing that slows the silverfox bike is the toffee's being fed to him from the rear....

Or is it the person feeding him the toffee's???

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Mine goes fast enough to almost instantly go around dawdlers on the back roads. Scan the road up ahead for deer, dogs, turtles and oncoming logging trucks and it will zip around them like they are standing still.
That used to scare me on my old GSXR750 - I could be behind say three cars, doing maybe 50 mph, drop down a couple gears, pull out, and by the time I reached the front car a few seconds later, be doing well in excess of 120 mph, with it still pulling strong and two gears left to go. Just crazy. The thing is, it was so rock solid at those speeds, I wouldn't realize just how fast I was going until I looked down and saw it on the speedo.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes some motorcycles will really accelerate very quickly, and the 1800 is up there almost with a sport bike in the way it will quickly accelerate. I love it, and use it to quickly get around vehicles on the back roads , I despise the interstate and all the big trucks, and it has gotten bumper to bumper traffic on them .

So a bike that will accelerate quickly and used wisely and not with reckless behavior is a joy to ride and will help you make time on the secondary roads.

Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 100 has to be faster than a big fat old 1500 and I know they will hit 120+ on a flat road with no wind.

At least I know one that will.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well hi again all. Thats a heap of feedback thanks, & all without me having to go find a big piece of empty road to check it out the old fashioned way! (That sort of road really doesn't exist over here) I pretty much concur with Kit in that it's great to have & use the acceleration available with the 1800 to do the quick & safe overtaking manoeuvre then settle back to a nice safe riding speed with no SUV's or similar blocking the landscape out. Just as an aside. I read a couple nights ago a posting, may have been Kit again but can't swear to that. The comment was along the lines of only 2 or 3 local wingers using this forum. Yet there was possibly 300 wing owners in the general vicinity. Did I understand that right? I belong to the N.Z. Gold Wing Riders Inc., An N.Z. wide group. We have about 100 members country wide. It is quite rare to see another wing when out riding. I'd estimate there would be less than 500 Wings of any year in N.Z. This in a population of fractionally over 4 million!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.