Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back into looking at Goldwings. After having owned more than 60 GL-1200/GL-1500 bikes, the new depreciated prices on GL-1800s has me looking at affordable used examples.

Just like with the 1200/1500, 100k miles is a big hit in price. I know the 1200/1500 like the back of my hand, and the miles don't scare me.

What about the 1800? What to look for in a 100k+ example?

·
Administrator
24,654 Posts
Tires and brakes, fork seals, service record.

·
Administrator
21,948 Posts
I think it's all the same. Find one that has been cared for correctly and any model GL will easily give you a quarter million miles of trouble-free service.

The only up side to the 18 will be parts availability down the line.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Service records are critical on anything you buy. Early 1800's had several recalls. After 05 most of the problems were taken care of, So how could you have owned over 60 Gold Wings?? You must bought and sold several each year.

·
Premium Member
56,386 Posts
Good to see you back.........
I'd check if the final drive and drive shaft have been changed other than regular maintenance the rest is pretty much good to go

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Buying a high mileage bike from a dealer can be frustrating. The salesman will know next to nothing about the bike. Color, year, and mileage are about it. I would like to talk to the original owner. That could make my mind up one way or the other. I like to ask if the valves have ever been checked, and when the brakes and clutch fluid were last changed, and bled. The fact it has a K&N air filter would not be a plus for me. Tell me it has a Traxion suspension system installed and I would be very interested.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all. Glad to be back.

5+ months ago I lost one of my Triumphs to an accident, similar to what John encountered. And, as John's, I can't/won't post any details for a while.

I can say that I'm now up and walking. It's been a while since I could without significant aid.

I'm going to look for an 06 or later to get away from the frame recalls.

And, yes. I've owned over 60 GL12/GL15 in just a few years of time. (oh, and one GL-1100 naked that I was sad to sell.) Some of them were remarkable, including the low-s/n 1984 Aspy with < 1,000 miles and the factory altimeter option!

I'll let you know what I find. I'm not in a hurry, as I can't yet ride, really. I'm just beginning to shop.

·
Premium Member
56,386 Posts
Good to hear you're at lest up right and moving

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.