Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

greetings from E. Tn. Does anybody know if the 81 gl1100 uses the same side stand leg as the 84 gl1200?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

oldguybiker wrote:
greetings from E. Tn. Does anybody know if the 81 gl1100 uses the same side stand leg as the 84 gl1200?
Don't know for sure but they sure look about the same.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Part numbers are different.

GL1100 side stand; 50540-463-000
GL1100 side stand; 50540-MG9-000

That doesn't mean theat you can't swap them, but I have a feeling that the 1200 stand is a bit shorter.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

The problem is my gl1100 stand leg and my gl1200 stand leg measure the same, but my 1200 lays over quite a bit farther than the 1100. It appears to me as if the 1200 needs to be about 1.5 inches longer. Does this make any sense to anyone? Btw, thanx in advance for any and all assistance. Ron Dilliott

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

Probably just a different mounting point on the frame, or maybe slightly different frame geometry.

Jack

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

oldguybiker wrote:
What part of E. Tn.?

Jack

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

My 85 1200 I think tilts over too much on the side stand too, but it has been rewelded and I just figured it was set at the wrong angle. Does anyone know if you can purchase a longer one? I thought about making a longer one or cutting it and welding in a spacer to make it longer.

Anyone done this?

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Which way are you speaking about leaning? When I got my '83 last year, I was concerned as it sat upright too much and I was concerned about it tipping over to the right. I thought that the sidestand was messed upsomehow but I didn't see any apparent damage or modifications to it. As it turned out, it was the suspension sagging not the sidestand. When I aired the shocks up to max, the bike sat as it should. With the new progressives I installed this spring, this leaning is no longer an issue.

Just my .02's worth.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Probably just a different mounting point on the frame, or maybe slightly different frame geometry.

Jack
the 1000 and 1100 frames are essentially the same. the 1200 frame is different

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Which way are you speaking about leaning? When I got my '83 last year, I was concerned as it sat upright too much and I was concerned about it tipping over to the right. I thought that the sidestand was messed upsomehow but I didn't see any apparent damage or modifications to it. As it turned out, it was the suspension sagging not the sidestand. When I aired the shocks up to max, the bike sat as it should. With the new progressives I installed this spring, this leaning is no longer an issue.

Just my .02's worth.

Hobie
The exact same thing happened with mine!

Jack

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Well, Ithink Ill stop at the Honda shop and talk to their mechanics. If I dont find out anything , Im going to cut my stand leg and add about 1.5 inches to it. Ill let youall know what happens. Incidentally, it leans way over to the left. Im getting to old to work that hard to stand it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.