Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Coolant leaks must be a hot topic! I've read thru some of threads lately looking for fixes to my leaker. Recently my wing blew something in the head area, big cloud of white smoke out the exhaust and water running out the exhaust weep hole on the left side. So I trailer-ed and brought it home. Assuming a head gasket bad I tore it down and replaced the gasket. But it is still leaking after the replacement. I've pulled the head again but cant see any reason for it to leak. The left front cylinder is wet when apart so I think this is the problem area. Compression on all 4 is +- 10 of 160psi so it seems odd that water is getting into the cylinder.

So now I'm kinda bumfuzzled on what to do next. Warped head? I'm read to try some stop leak, but haven't read anything positive about motorcycle applications?

Pics are posted here: http://www.sendpix.com/albums/10052208/084407000000006e65dbe22a625739156820baed0e16/

Anyone experienced head problems like this or care to comment?

Thanks,
Homer

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If you can figure out a way to block off the water passages and connect an air hose, you should be able to see if it has a crack in the head.,,

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
imported post

I would flat edge that head. It is aparrent it is the front cylinder that has an issue.. If your head is warped.. Let me know I have a good empty head laying around here. I also have a freshened head.

The empty head is just that.. no valves no valve train.

The refreshed is with valve train, assembly lubed. It has new viton seals and a fresh valve lapping.

But I am suspecting a warped head.. But weird how you said it just suddenly came on?

What were you doing just before gasket blew. And were or what did the original gasket look like.

Just for info.. I use copper spray on all my head gaskets prior to install. This was how I was taught at HONDA in French Camp, Ca. when I went to school.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Thats a nice offer by copper204. First get the original head checked for flatness, it probably would have been an idea to get it skimmed after the first removal.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
imported post

Also I know this may start a fight. I ALWAYS copper coat all my head gaskets prior to installing.. And make sure you install a new o-ring on the oil control valve on the head after ensuring the oil control(restricter) is clear. Hal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.