Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not getting any fuel in the bowls of the Carb. I removed the drain plugs to find I had nothing in them. When I started to check the exit line from the fuel pump I noticed gas dripping from the line also I heard a lil bit of vacuum noise as i loosened the line.
Also I'm not getting any spark to my plugs. The coil wires are almost impossible to connect wrong because they are color coated and male and female connectors are reverse for each coil. The kill switch is not even connected. I put a solid green wire to the top of the coil bracket which I was told that's where it goes from another thread. The points I've sanded down clean and adjusted them so only one was in contact per rotation.
The two wires from the points connect into two different dual connectors coming from harness and to condensor or round cylinder on left side of battery box. Wires are yellow and blue. Please help

Ok sorry but please ignore the fuel problem. I figured it out. There was a little bit of junk built up in the entry line of the Carb... so I took it off and cleaned it out. Now I got fuel building up on the bowl... yay

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
There is a lot to making a points ignition work right. I just went through a GL1000 ignition today, gave me fits getting it in time. The points have to make almost perfect contact, they have to be gapped right, there has to be no shorts to ground in the system, not even a little, the condensers have to be good and also well grounded. The backing plate has to be well grounded. The plug wires and caps have to be in good shape too. I found 3 out of the 4 caps bad on this one.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
When you say the kill switch is not connected, do you mean that you left it unplugged, or that you jumpered it out of the circuit? Because the juice for the ignition goes from the ballast resistor up into the kill switch and then back to the coils. You can jumper around it without too much work, but you can't just leave it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First i tried with the kill switch plugged in and later unplugged. I got the same response, no spark. I'm wondering if the wires are right... around the area with all the male and female connectors I found one black wire with a brown ring that I thought plugs into the brown and black from the switch. The other wire for the switch has a red stripe. I'm sure its on right due to the fact its the only one in the bunch like that. How would I bypass the kill switch if leaving it unplugged will not work?

I've looked on the wiring diagram I got off of Google images. There are only two wires running to the coil but in actuality there are more. And the colors and not the same.

How would i check the condenser? It only has a blue and yellow wire one coming out of each end... right? Also it would be grounded if its still attached to the battery box on the left side and the box is in place.

To check if I had no spark I pulled one side first and watched for spark as I pushed the head against something metal. I guess tomorrow I could just grab it as i attempt to start it.it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a cen tech digital electricity meter but im unsure of what I need to set it on to get the proper reading. Also what wires should I check on the coils to make sure I get the proper amount of power to them. On the coils there is a blue and yellow one solid yellow two black and white wires and two that have a sleeve that is black on the entire wire. Its almost impossible I think to connect them wrong cause the colors add up and the connectors are strategically placed to avoid confusion.

Would it matter if I took all the electronics boxes off the fake gas tank housing and laid them over the gastank connected instead of having that big box blocking my view?

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
You have a black/white wire to the coils that should have 12 volts more or less. The yellow and the blue/yellow go to the points, they will be grounded when the points are closed and open when the points are open. The wires with the sleeves are the plug wires. You should have black/brown and a black/white to the kill switch, connect those together and you should have power to the coils. Don't worry about the condensers just yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Dave, i didn't have any power to those black and white wires... I found out the kill switch wasnt properly connected. Now I got spark to all 4. I'm going to look up some old forums on timing. I've seen plenty on here but if I need help ill make a new one. Thanks all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.