Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
Almost finished the rebuild of my wing, its looks great but cant get any power. Bought new battery today, turned on ignition, nothing. The battery is showing over 12 volts on the meter so thats OK. I have changed, renewed so many things dont know where to start. I have changed the stock 30a fuse for the more modern mini fuse shown in these very pages, have also renewed the 3 yellow wire connector.
The battery earth is connected to the engine bolt above and behind the left side of the engine. The earth at the coils is connected and OK. Anyone know how the starter motor is earthed?
I changed the 30amp fuse and then had power up to the ignition switch, as soon as I turn on the ignition the fuse blows.
Have been through the wiring as best I can checking for continuity and all has been OK.
I have very limited knowledge of electrics so please keep your replies simple
Any ideas anybody??????????????????? :

·
Registered
304 Posts
re: "Anyone know how the starter motor is earthed?"

To answer that specific question, the starter is grounded thorough the engine. The main ground cable is attached the frame at the lower, rear engine mounting point (near the rider's left ankle).

Ray Proebstl of Munich, Bavaria, South Germany is a professional educator in the field of electronics. He is a long-time avid GoldWing enthusiast and wrote this very useful troubleshooting guide:

http://www.randakksblog.com/comprehensive-gl1000-charging-system-troubleshooting/

Hope it helps a bit.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: "Anyone know how the starter motor is earthed?"

To answer that specific question, the starter is grounded thorough the engine. The main ground cable is attached the frame at the lower, rear engine mounting point (near the rider's left ankle).

Ray Proebstl of Munich, Bavaria, South Germany is a professional educator in the field of electronics. He is a long-time avid GoldWing enthusiast and wrote this very useful troubleshooting guide:

http://www.randakksblog.com/comprehensive-gl1000-charging-system-troubleshooting/

Hope it helps a bit.
Thanks Randakk, read the article then went searching the wiring loom for continuity.
Thought I had found a problem with the sub loom that comes up from the oil pressure/thermostat area. Had the carbs off, radiator too, all looks good as they are new parts. Then found other wires without continuity in other parts of the loom, decided I had no idea what I was doing so put it all back together, gave it a good kick and am now home for dinner with aching fingers and a bad back!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.