Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks. I bought a GL1000 (1977) which was running rough. I've done a lot of work to it and rebuilt the carbs. I fitted Dyna coils and Dyna S ignition and am getting great sparks, on time. The compression looks good on all four cylinders. The fuel pump is new.

Here's my problem. The bike starts up but the right hand side cylinders seem starved of fuel. The manifold at the front get quite hot but not as hot as the two left cylinders and the rear right manifold is nowhere near as hot as the others. The bike sounds like a CX500 and if I remove the suppressor caps of the right cylinders whilst the engine is running, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference to the running.

I'm wondering what I've done wrong on the carb rebuild. I cleaned them out and used car rebuild kits, float valves etc. Can anyone point me towards anything obvious that it might be please? Is there s fundamental thing I've done/not done that maybe doesn't let fuel get to the two right hand carbs? Or something?

I just did a complete carb rebuild on my Yamaha XS1100 and it's absolutely fine. I'm not technically inept but appear to have done something/missed something here...

Any help appreciated.....:stumped:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

How do your sparkplugs look on the cold (right) side after running a bit?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The front one is sooty looking (they are new Iridium plugs) and the back one looks slightly wet and shiny but no real signs of combustion....

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Gl carbs are finicky..floats must be set correctly, jet perfectly clean.. Said you used car rebuilt kits..not a good idea..did you remove and clean the idle jets..including the side ports? If you have good spark, valves set right and the timing is right that only leaves the carbs.

If you level the bike then "screw" some 1/4 clear tubing into the drain ports, hold it up above the carb bodies and fill the carbs the level in the tubes should be just below the bowl lip..if not floats set wrong. Carb synch important sat idle, does it run smoothly at idle?
Black sooty = fouling, just wet = lack of combustion

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sorry that was a typo... I meant carb kits, not car kits! They were GL1000 rebuild kits. I didn't know the GL carbs are finicky. I had GL1000's when they first came out and were relatively new, of course, so never really had any issues. Now...35 years on...

The kits had all the jets and float valves etc. I scrupulously cleaned everything and replaced all the jets including the ones which have the plastic pipe going to them. One thing.... how does fuel get from one set of two carbs to the other two?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

There are galleys that run across the carbs and then across. 3 to 1 and 3 to 4 and then 2 if I remember correctly.

Issues with carb repair kits..some of the brands are not spec-ed properly so the just maybe too big(or small). Most guys just clean and replace the OEMs that's the safest route. And the float needles in the kits are notorious for being bad and leaking so most only replace with OEM Honda.

If you bench test like below and gas comes up through the jets..bad needles..if fuel level above bowl lip bad float setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Jamesengland1000 wrote:
Sorry that was a typo... I meant carb kits, not car kits! They were GL1000 rebuild kits. I didn't know the GL carbs are finicky. I had GL1000's when they first came out and were relatively new, of course, so never really had any issues. Now...35 years on...

The kits had all the jets and float valves etc. I scrupulously cleaned everything and replaced all the jets including the ones which have the plastic pipe going to them. One thing.... how does fuel get from one set of two carbs to the other two?
This has me puzzled.
What jets have a plastic pipe going to them? Oh, maybe the idle air jets. Should be rubber not plastic.

Fuel is transferred through passages in the plenum chamber. These can clog; if you split the plenum you must replace the gasket.

Float high setting is critical, to the millimetre!

Put the OEM jets back in. They almost never need replacing.

The idle circuits on these carbs are their Achilles heel. Very small passages that are very difficult to clean without an ultrasonic cleaner. And 125 PSI of air blown though them!

I think you need to get them off and go through them again.
If you need help, give me a shout. I know these carbs; it's what I do.
Check out http://www.wingovations.com/#/carb-rebuilds/4543526792

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I would like to use your services. I really don't know enough about these carbs to start trying to fix them. A set of XS1100 carbs or indeed any other bike, is not beyond me but I suspect that these are. Can you e-mail meon [email protected] please? I've tried you on-line form but it doesn't work for some reason......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.