Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

The fuel and temperature gauges stopped working on my '77 GL1000. I traced it down to the 7 volt regulator. I called the local Honda shop and they want $86.25 for it... ouch!!!

Anyone know where I can find one without paying top dollar for something that should cost about $10?

Thanks,

Marco

Ashland, Oregon

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Ted... I'll try there if I can't find one here in the states.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on my 77 Wing a fewyears ago and I also priced a replacement. The voltage is 8 volts. I took an 8 volt regulator and just spliced it in the old one. It has been working for several years. Cost - less that $1.00

Mine was intermittant. My solution has been working for several years now.

I bypassed both input and ourput legs with a 10 MFD cap and used epoxy to make a rigid unit.

Good luck on yours.

B. J. Baum

Decatur, IL

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

B. J.,

That sounds great. Do you still have the part number for that 8-volt regulator? Does it look like a big transistor, or is it something that can be found at an auto parts store?

Marco

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Hi

I am restoring a 1975 GL1000 and could not find a replacement 7V regulator for my blown one. So I took a Dremmel to it and reversed engineered it. Needless to say the value of the parts on the cicuit is less than US$1-00.

I can post the original circuit or a newly designed one that can handle reverse polarity.

Herman
South Africa

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Thats interesting Herman, how did you do it? A picture or diagram would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:)Id love to see what you came up with... I'm still at a loss here. I tried to use a 2N3055 transistor with a zener diode and resistor, but the zener kept going up in smoke! My email is: [email protected]

Marco

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Marco - The regulator is a LM7808 - it is a TO220 package and can handle up to one amp, which is way more that is needed. I don't know if the by-pass caps is necessary, but I had them so I used them.

I had to buy mine mail order from B. G. Micro in Dallas, but any decent electronics (NOT RADIO SHACK) out let should stock them. Mail order is way less that a $1.00, but a local would be much more, but not much.

If you need anything further you can contact me via e-mail at

[email protected]

GOOD LUCK,

BJB

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thank you B. J.,

Sounds like a pretty simple fix... The Honda manual doesn't specify how much current is needed so I was trying to overengineer it a little too much. Oh well.

I'll let you know how it works.

Marco,

Ashland, OR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.