Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my 77gl1000 when I got her the plug coming out of the alt was melted, so I rewired the three yellow wires into a new plug in, But one of the wires get very hot to the touch,

The alt seems to work fine I got 13.6v running, I just don't want to burn the wires up, I'm getting sick of wires.

Thanks for the help guys

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not unusual for the wires to get quite hot, even one getting hotter is not a worry.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Gearhead76wrote:
On my 77gl1000 when I got her the plug coming out of the alt was melted, so I rewired the three yellow wires into a new plug in, But one of the wires get very hot to the touch,

The alt seems to work fine I got 13.6v running, I just don't want to burn the wires up, I'm getting sick of wires.
Gearhead76, that 13.6 volts charging is pretty low for that 1000. It should be closer to 14.5-14.6 volts. That charging system is a low amp system (20 or so amps I believe) so that doesn't leave much for the battery. Try running your engine at 4,000-5,000 RPM's & re-checking the voltage as that is where the charging system is rated max at. If your battery is low it could also effect (lower) the system charging voltage.

Now on that one yellow wire getting hot, might be somewhat normal as (I believe) those early systems (like the 1000) only regulate 2 legs of the 3 phase coming out of the stator. That would mean one leg is always higher than the others.

You say you wired a new plug in? If so, make darn sure you cut those wires back to CLEAN SHINNY WIRE, then soldered ALL the connections. If the wire was discolored at the terminal crimp area you might still have a sizable resistance there & that will most suredly cause a heat problem due to added resistance. Your best bet is to remove the connectors at both the stator (3 yellow wires) & regulator & solder in new 14 gauge wires between with no connectors.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think it was about 14.3v and about 3000-4000 rpm, I have to rebuild the carbs again one of the floats are sticking and leaking gas you the overflow.

I did use new wire sodered in on the alt joint, The wires hot to touch but not hot enough to burn so I won't worry about it,

But first I have to get it running, again

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I don't think you have a problem with the stator on this.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Gearhead,

The GL 1100 carbs are alittle better and less trouble than the 1000 carbs, you might want to try and get some off of E-Bay and put them on instead of another rebuiled, I believe they fit on your 77, I know they fit 78 and 79 ?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all your help, I'll try rebuilding these carbs, and see what happens first, Then I can hopefully run her a little farther then around the block, Had great pickup but by the second corner there was gas coming out the car overflows,

So when I get ambitious enough to take the carbs off, We'll see what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.