Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey everyone , My 78 gl100 started spewing antifreeze . I saw it leak a couple drops out the water pump weep hole the other day so I ordered a new pump and seal kit but have not installed it yet . I thought I would take it for a short ride last night and I got about 4 miles when it started leaking anti freeze out the overflow and it looked like it was coming out the exhaust were it connects to the motor . I shut it off right away and towed it home . It still starts right up and runs good , but now I need to know what caused it and what all do I need to fix now .Did the pump freeze up ? Do I need to change the thermostat and how about gaskets ? I would appreciate any advice . This is my first Wing and I have put about 2000 on it this year . The bike it self has 45000 on it .Thanks Ham

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like a head gasket. Quick check is pull the spark plugs and look for one way cleaner than the others. A compression test will confirm your findings.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

If anyone has any more ideas please help . There was also some coolant coming out of the timing belt guard and out of one of the small covers on the right side of the engine . The leak at the water pump had stopped before this happened . I Am just trying to get some more feedback before tearing into it ! Thanks

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,268 Posts
imported post

Hi Ham, and welcome.

First, a leak can look like it's coming from lots of places so don't start rebuilding the engine just yet. I once replaced a head gasket to cure a leak that turned out to be the water pump.

A compression test isn't enough to find out about a head gasket. You will need to do a leak-down test. I honestly don't think any of that will be necessary. Just replace the pump and see how things are going after that.

Caution...the bolts on the front engine cover are different lengths. Don't get them mixed up. And if your belts have gotten anti-freeze on them they should be replaced.

Keep us posted on your progress, and...have fun. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thank you ,and I agree . I am going to take a good look at it before getting to crazy . I read a bunch of other postings and it sounds like it could have been running down from above and making it look worse than it really was .I am so glad I joined this sight I have already learned so much . I have owned a lot of other bikes but this is a new beast to me . I will keep you posted , and thanks for your help !

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

well ham your in for fun! just did mine a few weeks ago. paid mine $184 bucks + $40 for gaskets. called a local dealer and he was charging $600 for the job.decided to do it myself. isnt that big of a job, just watch your bolts lenghts and make sure when you install your pump on your cover, bolt it in evenly. you will need a good backrub by the end of the day, dealers charge 6 hours for this job,i did mine in 4
and since i forgot my neutral switch position i had to do it over and only took me 2 hours that time ....lol
while your in thee you may check your timing belts too.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks, luckily I have a lift ,but I usually ask my wife for a back rub anyway !

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I had ordered a pump and seal kit from SABER CYCLE that is after market and now I am concerned about their parts after reading different postings .Should I use them Or get Honda parts ?I always used Honda parts on my CB`s and never had any problems, I guess I was trying to save a buck ,but my time is valuable and I dont want to redo the pump because of a faulty part .

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Saber cycle parts are Ok I guess it's there service that sucks..if you get the wrong part from them or want to exchange a part that's when the trouble starts..usually. They have a bad attitude about customer service.

Also sounds like you built up too much pressure and blew an o-ring at the cross over tubes on top of the engine that would explain all your drip points..now why yoiu built up pressure is a whole other topic...

Pumps at HDline are $116.. gasket kits are $22 almost anyplace..note while you are in there you may want to replace the oil seal whihc is not part of the kits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.