Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking through my 79' gl1000. Recently did head gasket and now I notice my fan is not cycling. She is also overheating fairly quick(maybe just because bad fan temp switch, fan motor is good and wiring is good back to the switch when I shorted it out)
Not sure if this could be a problem with water pump or thermostat not letting the coolant circulate so coolant is not getting to switch.

I'm lost and getting discouraged :(

·
650 Posts
Even if the fans didnt turn on it should not heat up so quickly. They should turn on around. 190-205 how fast does the bike heat up? Sounds like there might be a circulation problem blockage that is or even a head gasket problem

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I am not sure if this is a big deal on goldwings, but some of my old vulcan 1500 had a heat issue that turned out to be just the radiator cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to a local mechanic (working on hondas for 30 yrs)and he said it could e likely that thermostat is the issue.

But she does head up pretty quickly. 10 mins or so

Ordered a thermostat, but if I have the chance to get the thermostat out, I'm gonna pull that and see if it could be that it's restricted somewhere else.
Hopefully when I pull that I can keep her cool. Really hope it's not the head gasket given it was just done.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Don.t trust your gauge.My bike was showing that it was hot but it really wasn.t.got a infrared thermometer at HF and found it wasn,t running hot, it was a faulty gauge.Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.