Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im looking to turn my 79 GL1000 into a bare bones cafe style bike and I want to start with the wiring. The previous owner "tinkered" with the wiring by adding rope lights and a different tailight and what is left from the original wiring is pretty rough. I want to re wire it myself with just enough to get it to start, run, have a headlight and brake light and minimal gauge and lighting. The wiring is really the only thing keeping the bike from being my dd right now and thats why Im tackling it first.
Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
imported post

A color diagram has been posted several times. Use the search function and you will find the posts.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

Hmmm.. Not the easiest to find actually. I remember someone having it in their gallery recently, but now I can't find it.
Thought it was CM85, but I can't see his gallery for some reason.
Here's a start, if you need more help fire a PM and I'll send you one, but there is one in the gallery somewhere.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/36261.html
This is from the reference forum and some links are dead as it's a couple years old.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I posted in this thread a minimal schematic a week or so ago. Maybe it'll work?

Here's the schem again though:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info. Thats a great detailed schematic CM85 but it still looks like more than I need.
I was checking some other sites out last night and ran across this schematic and It looks like about as bare bones as it gets. Is there anything I am missing on this generic schematic that I would need specific to a 79 GL1000. The previous owner removed the turn signals so I wont be adding those just yet. Im also going to remove the handlebar controls and wire in switches for the headlight and the ignition inside the false tank. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

xReVOx wrote:
Thanks for the info. Thats a great detailed schematic CM85 but it still looks like more than I need.
I was checking some other sites out last night and ran across this schematic and It looks like about as bare bones as it gets. Is there anything I am missing on this generic schematic that I would need specific to a 79 GL1000. The previous owner removed the turn signals so I wont be adding those just yet. Im also going to remove the handlebar controls and wire in switches for the headlight and the ignition inside the false tank. Let me know what you guys think.
That's how I have it; ignition is a 2 pole switch on the left (ever since some crackhead tried to steal my bike with a screwdriver) :whip:
and on the right is a 3 pole switch for headlight, off and start. Handy because you can turn the headlight off during testing, etc.
I mounted them in the lip of the "toolbox". Very easy as it's plastic.
Don't get the cheap toggles; lots of juice going through there.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Yeah, the reserve lighting, diodes and turn signals keep alot of wiring in the picture. Remember, for thye schematic you have, that there's the fan to deal with, and possibly some other stuff.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Have you looked into the registration and insurance implications of your modifications or is this going to be a trailered to from shows bike?

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I think that diagram is a little too simple. The ground wire off the battery should always go to frame and ENGINE. Your coils may have resistors requiring a bypass for the full 12V or battery voltage at start up.

JD

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the replies

CM85.. Thats ok. Small stuff like the fan I can figure out pretty easily. It already has a fan toggle switch from the PO, I just have to clean up the wiring.

DriverRider... Factory ground cable already goes to the frame and engine so I wont even have to mess with that.

Ken.... In TX if your bike has blinkers they have to work. If it doesnt have turn signals at all then you just use hand signals. And like I said I will eventually install them. Im just trying to get the bike going.

Thanks for all the good info. I will start a thread with pics when I make the harness.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

For that custom diagram, what I'd suggest is to bridge the starter pulse/ lighting switch, so that when you punch the start button the lighting turns off, or at least the headlight. This pushes all available juice to the starter and the coils. This is how it was designed, stock. Actually, there's some complicated circuits there for even more juice to the coils, but you're trying to simplify so won't go into that. Otherwise with that on/ off switch on the diagram you'll have to do it manually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.