Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75, been standing in a barn 25 years. I took the belt covers off and it has like new belts. Honda OEM, look like they were put on yesterday. they are nice and soft, not a mark in sight. I know they seldom show marking, but dang these are beautiful. do you really think I need to change them?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the belts until you get the carbs cleaned and tuned. A bike with that history will need a new battery, new tires, brake service and flush, coolant change, new plugs and a oil and filter change,and a gas filter. Check the tank for rust and leaks. lube of the cables and anything else that is sticky from sitting. Once you get it running like it should be, if you feel like doing the belts that will finish it off. I hope you feel confident about doing this work yourself because it will be costly to have a shop do it. ,,

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh I have fixed a bike or 2, I just don't see the sense in changing these.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
It is your bike so you get to decide what to do with it. If it was my bike I wouldn't hesitate to replace those old belts just because of the age. You really can't tell anything about when a toothed belt will fail by looking at it.
Big Cahuna is right though about fixing up the carbs and other things first. There is a lot of stuff that will need to be repaired or replaced before it is roadworthy. Just keep in mind that if one of those belts break you will have a big expense to get it fixed again.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well for now I am gonna soak them in belt dressing and attack the carbs... if there is anything left of them

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Randakk's has a good kit for those carbs if you are looking to replace gaskets, etc. Good quality. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
The early Gold Wing 1000 cam belts were some of the worst at breaking when least expected. That combined with belts at least 25 years old, sitting in the same position? I wouldn`t trust them. Might be able to make it the last thing you do before hitting the road though.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have a 75, been standing in a barn 25 years. I took the belt covers off and it has like new belts. Honda OEM, look like they were put on yesterday. they are nice and soft, not a mark in sight. I know they seldom show marking, but dang these are beautiful. do you really think I need to change them?
.....You really can't tell anything about when a toothed belt will fail by looking at it... ...Just keep in mind that if one of those belts break you will have a big expense to get it fixed again....
well for now I am gonna soak them in belt dressing....
No need to visit this thread again.....

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
If you are keeping the Wing you should probably replace those belts. But...if you are going to sell it as I suspect you will, you might want to tell the buyer that the belts haven't been replaced.
Someone remind me not to buy that Wing. ;)

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I would roll them around some manually and see if the whole belt looks as good, could be that only the parts of the belt not in contact with the cam gears are in good shape, or let me put it another way.

New to you bike with unknown history vs New to you bike with unknown history and a messed up engine and you looking like an idiot for the sake of $30 and a couple of hours work.

Sounds like a no brainer to me!!

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't intend on selling this old bike, it needs a lot of chrome, I really just wanted some opinions, to see what others would do. I will change them eventually. just seems odd to find belts this nice in there.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Yes, if you don't know the age, or 25 years old, I'd replace them fast. Belts can break just from being old with out any real miles on them also.

Didn't you just loose a good 83 engine on a $400 parts bike you got recently because it dropped a belt?
$20-$30 and NOT trash a good engine, Ya I'd do that!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Once you get it running like it should be, if you feel like doing the belts that will finish it off. ,,
If a belt breaks while getting it running like it should be, that also could finish it off also, but not in a good way!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I would be more afraid of a low mileage belts that haven't moved in 25 years breaking than high mileage belts used daily.

You can replace them now or roll the dice and perhaps have one break and grenade the engine the first time you start it. It's up to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.