Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a previously rebuilt gold wing GL100. It is a '75 motor on an '81 frame. I have had it a few months and it just blew a head gasket on the right side. I have rebuilt a diesel engine and several gas engines before. How difficult would changing both gaskets be? I have read the service manual on it and it seems pretty straight forward, I just want to know if there are any common problems to look for. Thank you for any help.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I'm pretty sure it's a the gasket because when i got off it there was oily water coming out of the exuast.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

There have been many reports of aftermarket head gaskets failing after only a short time.
If you use the admittedly pricey OEM gaskets you should be good for many years. Other than that you sound like you know what you're doing so you should have no problems.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

It's straighforward enough. Radiator comes out and then the timing belt covers and belts. Exhaust pipes, inlet manifolds and off with the heads. :)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The gasket kit I purchased for it was around $100 adn is the whole top end kit. i will get some pics up soon.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Be careful..most say only use OEM head gasket or you'll be doing it again soon. Check the heads and block for "flatness". Put heads on a piece of glass..mirror?? for straight edge..metal T square or similar for the block side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.